The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After transfer mail problem

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by eeadmin, Nov 5, 2004.

1. eeadmin

eeadmin Well-Known Member

Okay so I transfered some sites over from an ENSIM system. The sites seem to be working well. Except one thing. I cannot get them to send mail. It just won't let me keeps asking for username password.

I am using username@domain.com which was the standard on previous server and works for other clients on this server.
    The incoming works fine. I have recieved several email. No problems there.

I believe if I recreated the account problem would disappear, but still 40 domains with over 250 email accounts to be moved. Most impossible to delete and recreated all these accounts especially because I don't have passwords for many of them.

Thanks....

#1 eeadmin, Nov 5, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  2. eeadmin

Problem still lingers

This problem still lingers.

3. eeadmin

work around

I tried chaning properties including mode read write or others.
    recreating the account seems to fix the problem.
    also just re-entering password seems to make sending work.
    Just something to note when transfering accounts from and ensim system.

4. vrinteractive

vrinteractive Member

My accounts don't get setup after the transfer. I'm transferring from 3.5.x to whm10

5. nvcjason

nvcjason Registered
    PartnerNOC

This is very broken...I discovered this after moving about 40 domains yesterday and I'm still trying to clean up the mess. Basically what happens is cpanel moves the mail folders to /home/userdir/mail/accountname instead of /home/userdir/mail/domain.com/accountname.

To make it worse, it creates /home/userdir/etc/passwd and shadow instead of /home/userdir/etc/domain.com/passwd and shadow. Inside the passwd file, the mail directory is listed as /home/userdir instead of /home/usrdir/mail/domain.com/accountname.

You can get cpanel to create the necessary folders and show the accounts by adding an arbitrary pop account using the cpanel interface. that's a start; now you have to go and move the user's folders to the right locations and edit the passwd file.

One really annoying thing is that, on my server at least, all the email users in the passwd file have UID/GID set to -1. I went in an manually changed the group ids, but I'm still researching the best way to generate UIDs so if anyone can give me a hand there that would be great.

Until this is fixed I would say that your users are much better off on Ensim, sad as it may seem. I put in a support ticket today which was immediately escalated to level 2 support, but still haven't gotten a reply.

6. TJCooper

TJCooper Member

anyone figure this out? I just did copy accounts from another server which was from cpanel to cpanel and now those sites can receive email. I came across spamassassin wasnt installed on the server that everything was moved to so i installed it and checked mailperms and still no go. Will everyone have to recreate their email account?