The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agora request

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Masque, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Masque

Masque Member

Greets,

I'm not normally one to complain about software, especially open source... you get what you get and oftentimes the authors are under-compensated. However, Agora is not open source and as a commercial product is absolutely hideous.

You're nickle and dimed over the costs (you pay extra for the paypal gateway and even more for paypal with IPN, whoever heard of this nonsense?). Of course the costs don't include support of any kind (at least on one of their websites, on the other it claims support does come with it) the costs are conflicting and unclear and it comes with no uninstall feature in cpanel.

And if I "did" offer it to my customers, it's on the front page of their cpanel, surely resulting in some unhappy customer experiences, since it's the first ecommerce solution they may see and set up.

There are pages of "gotchas" I could write but to spare any further annoyance to forum readers, I'll stop there.

It is only my opinion, but I would implore the cpanel team to remove this bit of trash completely from cpanel and replace it with something at least more in keeping with honest claims and more or less stable software like OSCommerce, Zen cart, etc. This is pure trash.

T.M.

#1 Masque, Aug 5, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  2. Masque

Masque Member

baileysemt,

Ugg, let me back up gracefully, as you're right that I probably came off too harshly and most definately didn't consider the ramification of what probably amounts to thousands of existing Agora installations. I'm sure cpanel wouldn't be including it in its offerings if it were as bad as all that.

I was frustrated at the time especially since I'm a new cpanel host (been running hosting manually with no cpanel for a few years) and only moved to it 2 weeks ago and had to deal with some initial unhappiness from some of my customers. In response I went out and bought Fantastico just because my people wanted the easy installers on shopping carts and more choices. A few of my customers complained because they were using PayPal as their primary gateway and found out they had to pay extra fees from what they "thought" was a free shopping cart, or at least one that had what they'd expected from core functionality. The fact that it isn't free isn't wrong either, although I know my customers would have felt better if they'd known the issues before they installed the cart and begun their work.

There are some valid issues I think on the negative side of Agora, but I'm sure it can't be "that bad" if many people are using it without complaint. I still wouldn't mind seeing more choices than agora, but I'm sure cpanel will keep increasing it's offerings and features. By the way, none of this was meant as derogatory against cpanel which is an awesome product.

#2 Masque, Aug 5, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you want to contact cPanel, then you should either use information on their contact page or log an enhancement in bugzilla. Posting here will not bring it to their attention.