The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIM Notifications Don't Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bestrafung, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Bestrafung

Bestrafung Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have been running our cPanel setup for almost a year now on a VPS. It has a dedicated NIC with a direct connection, not firewalls or routers. Everything else, including email notifications work properly. AIM notifications have never worked and I'd really like to figure out why. I verified that the server account details I provided are correct and logged in to the AIM Express online and sent test messages. I found the script so I can send test messages as needed (/usr/local/cpanel/scripts/sendaim). Every test message I attempt to send returns this error:
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/sendaim test
    Any ideas would be appreciated. I've tried setting up the server and recipient screennames with and without the @aol.com and still can't figure this out. If this doesn't work, is it possible to setup the ICQ notification to send to AIM screennames. For now I guess we'll just disable it again.

2. AngelNo3

AngelNo3 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your post from late last year is one of two posts that come up at the top of Google, and I'm surprised there is no answer.

There was an answer to the other post that claimed, as of March 2011, and as of cPanel v 11.28.86, that the service was broken. However, there was no other response to either thread, no solution to the problem. (See http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/will-cpanel-aim-aleert-work-192751.html.)

I am having the same issue, so I would like to know if it is working for anyone, or has everyone just stopped using AIM notifications?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Check to ensure you are entering just the AIM username, rather than the full AOL email address. Also, try temporarily disabling any firewall rules on your system to see if the issue persists in order to rule that out as the cause of the problem.

Thank you.

4. dolphyn

dolphyn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay, this is an old thread, but I was getting the same error -- appropriately enough, because the configured AIM password was wrong -- and I found this thread before I found any way to update the password.

The setting is in WHM under Server Contacts -> Contact Manager -> Change Alert Destinations