The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alabanza copy problem with MySQL DB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dynaserve, Aug 6, 2004.

1. dynaserve

dynaserve Member

I've tried the alab*nza copy tool but have a problem with the MySQL DBs being copied and transferred. On the alabanza server the DB name is domain_tld but it gets re-created as username_default. I am assuming the permission are also going to be messed.

Also, only one database gets copied and moved. On the alabanza server there were 6 databases but only the first one was copied and transferred.

Does anyone have the cure for this? Can't edit the copy script as it is in /scripts2... :(

Thanks.

2. atDev

atDev Member

Yup same problem here.

3. chaospire

chaospire Registered

Same here. Any resolutions?

4. jenlepp

jenlepp Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I moved 1500 accounts from Alabanza a year and a half ago and much to my chagrin, no databases; what I had to do was simply move all the databases manually (I think, frankly, I just rsynced the directory and cleaned it up once it got there since the versions were the same, and it worked) - logins worked for the clients, they just didn't show up in Cpanel itself so that folks could manage them through there. Slowly, once over, I renamed the directories/logins one at a time, individual to individual so that they would show up.

Ok, I lied. I didn't do that, exactly - I did it for the ones that asked where the database was and explained the situation, and we made the change then if we needed to. We announced the issue, but very few folks inquired.

The one caveat and problem if you leave straggled domains is backups - if you don't backup the whole mysql directory, you don't back up those stray databases which continue to work, but aren't associated with a client. In the same arena, if someone asks for a backup and you backup by their user name, you don't get those stray databases.

I never found any other way to do it because of Cpanel's unique naming convention regarding databases, and Cpanel never could see the databases associated with the accounts unless the directory was renamed with the username_ convention.

It works for us and we didn't lose any clients (or databases) over it, but it was, admittedly, a band-aid best we could manage scenario.