The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by sexy_guy, Jun 28, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

What does this mean? What do you mean by the user has a alias but no mailbox? Are they saying there is no user@domain.com account setup in their control panel? I see this sparatically thoughout the day and i would like to know what it means.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. sexy_guy

**BUMP**

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    exim4 has a diffrent way of choosing where mail goes. This prevents duplicate messages to mailing lists.

4. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop

This usually means an Alias has been setup (probably for forwarding), but no eMail account was setup. People usually do this because they want certain eMail forwarded to another address and figure they don't have to setup (create) an eMail account for the Alias, within their account.

My experience has shown that when a forwarding eMail address is used, Cpanel or Exim, wants to put a copy of the eMail within the eMail account -- as well as doing the forwarding. If there is no eMail account setup, and only a forwarding, then there is no account to place the copy within and an endless loop is created.

To prevent the endless loop from continuing, the eMail is forwarded and the copy is discarded. The only drawback is that the error msg. will appear everytime an eMail address is used with the forwarding setup and no eMail account. Not a big deal I guess, once one understands 'why' the error msg. is showing and doesn't mind the entries in their Server logs.

5. sexy_guy

Thanks for the explanation.

6. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This is not entirely true fropm my experience.

I had set up two forwarders bob and jenni @ domain.com to forward to a pop bobjenni.

Messages to either bob or jenni resulted in that error and no message was forwarded.

Now I am having similar problems on a different domain. I am almost thinking about downgrading to stable so I can downgrade back to Exim3. The last 24 hours have been miserable.

7. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    -STABLE will probably be 7.x in the next 24 hours. Please submit a ticket so we can check this out before we release.

8. sqsisa

sqsisa Well-Known Member

Hey Nick,

Can you look at this thread http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12028 and give me a wild guess? I ran /scripts/mailman212 and it ran with out errors but killed Exim. exim.pl and exim.conf were removed and not replaced. I replaced them with backup copies that I have for exim 4.20 but now I get the problems in the thread I posted above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. GOT

GOT Get Proactive!

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Ticket submitted

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 18009

10. mind-field

mind-field Active Member

Hello,

So in other words this will cause NO problems on the server?

Here is the error I receive:

Code:
    LOG: MAIN
      => discarded <\topsilverbiz@****.com> R=has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop
    LOG: MAIN

I will still receive the message, but just won't place it in any mailbox?

Thanks and God Bless!

David Garza

11. james909

james909 Registered

Hello fellow R=has_alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop sufferers.

We had this issue this morning and it took 3 hours for us to pin it down.

We found that the target forwarder address was to a domain which was also hosted on the same cpanel server.

The target domain is on cpanel -only for web and dns, the domain's mx's point to a different server.

However, CPANEL was assuming it was handling email for this domain too, which is not the case for this domain. CPanel couldn't find the target box address locally, so produced the error, as above.

We tracked down the domain's entry in /etc/localdomains and removed the domain from the file, and restarted exim... This solved the problem and it now sends email to the correct mx host, however, we don't know if CPanel will put the entry back in at a later date.

If anyone knows of a feature such as "disable virtual email for this domain on this cpanel server", please reply/let me know.

I hope this report helps other people.

James

#11 james909, May 27, 2004
    Last edited: May 27, 2004
  12. LABWEB1

LABWEB1 Member

I have a site that receives on average 400 e-mail forms a day. About 25-40 percent of these forms are directed to an e-mail alias that delivers those forms to another e-mail address. The e-mails are reaching their destinations but we are left with hundreds of messages in the queue with this "alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop" issue. I'm tired of having to repeat myself to our visitors that this doesn't mean anything and to disregard the e-mail. I'm also tired of trying to beat this by going into the e-mail queue to remove these messages.

The server we were using previously did not have this issue. But our new server does, does anyone here know if I can put anything into the exim configuration to stop these messages or to stop exim from trying to deliver these aliases to a real mailbox?

The fix in this thread didn't work for us.

Thanks.
    Abby

13. james909

james909 Registered

The error seems to happen when CPanel believes that the target email's domain is hosted on the cpanel server locally, when the target email's domain's mx record is actually pointing elsewhere.

Investigate the target email address's domain, look up the delegation and mx details.

If you find this is not the case, then this reply probably won't help.

This is the most up to date info I have received about this issue:
    (you may need to telnet or ssh into your server to do this.)

"You will want to add the domain that you removed from /etc/localdomains to /etc/remotedomains. If there is no /etc/remotedomains file, create one and add the domain to the first line. This will prevent the domain from being associated with the local machine."

You may need to reset exim afterwards for settings to take affect, you can do this in CPanel's root web interface.

James

14. freakysid

freakysid Well-Known Member

I remove the domain from /etc/localdomains and add it into /etc/remotedomains - that seems to keep everything in order for domains with remote MX.

15. terijo63

terijo63 Member

alias_but_no_mailbox_discarded_to_prevent_loop

I'm beginning to think we should have a forum just on this update. This is the 3rd problem I've run into caused by the update to the new cpanel.

I realize that they probably test these updates before they send them out, but it sure doesn't feel like it... The first error downed my nameserver because it deleted a .pid file.. then once that was replaced it was resolving the domain names but not the server itself. That turned out to be the rndc.conf file that was changed for the worse..

Now this alias. Half of my customers use forwards. I get terribly nervous playing inside configuration files to begin with. So far I haven't caused smoke to pour out of the server, mind you, but I'm still a newbie with the cpanel and WHM, so there's those nerves!

The forwards on my server are going to outside pops, as opposed to what you are discussing above, so these domains wouldn't be in my local.domains anyway, or SHOULDN'T be.

Teri

#15 terijo63, Jul 30, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  16. LABWEB1

LABWEB1 Member

When I try to do this for my server, NO e-mail comes through. :confused: