Alittle Confused Regarding Mailman Mail List

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi, i watched the cPanelTV videos on mailman and maillist. But i am still a bit confused. Where is the link to the html page where people can sign up? I see the edit html pages link in cPanel but i dont see anything that shows me what url someone can go to in order to subscribe.

I am considering changing over from phpList to cPanel mail list feature but so far its sort of frustrating that the information i need was not mentioned in the videos or on the mail list creation or mailman.

Maybe this works different than phpList and its not what i need, i dont know yet, still learning? Maybe this is "just" for managing lists and nothing more? I guess the video assumes someone knows what a list is for?

Can someone point me to where i can find whatever url there is to the subscribe page of a cPanel mail list?

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi @durangod

When you're logged into the Mailman interface for a mailing list, you can go to the "General List Information Page". This is where users can manage their subscriptions to the list. You can modify the available data here from the "Edit the Public HTML pages and text files" section in the mailing list administration options.

By default it configures something similar to the following:
Code:
http://mail.domain.tld/mailman/listinfo/mailtesting_domain.tld
Where my list is called mailtesting.

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Thanks Lauren...

I appreciate the info, but sadly after commenting out much of the html that i dont need there are parts of the page that i cannot edit and so i dont believe it will work for me. I dont need to give members passwords or let them edit stuff, i just needed the subscription form part. However as i said there are buttons i cant edit, text i cant edit, and footers i cant edit as they must be in another file somewhere.

I was hoping to not use phpList as i feel its coding is just not up to current standards, its a very old script and still uses much of the html 1.0 way of coding which is not good. And i would attempt to edit more files with mailman if (as i hoped) that the code was more current. However after looking at the html of mailman, it is no different than phpList in that regard. They dont use css and remove the style from html, again it is html 1.0 all over again (it says 4.01 but they didnt even use any benefits of that html). And actually phpList has the advantage of providing a more powerful admin ui to edit forms and even gives default (formatted) pages to subscribe and other pages and mailman does not.

So the lessor of both evils is going to be phpList for now. However i assume if i need further support for mailman to play around with it a bit, i would need to go to the mailman forum correct? I assume cPanel only supports basic features and everything else needs to be asked of mailman directly, would that be correct?

UPDATE: well it does not appear that a mailman forum at the mailman domain exists... hmmmm
Also i just had a brainy idea, i can do my own custom input tags for buttons as long as i use the correct input name by looking at the page source... ill give it a shot... ")

Ii would certainly prefer to use something internal to cPanel that something outside it... i just hope i can edit enough to make mailman work for me. :)

Thanks

Last edited:

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
OK one issue might be the version of cPanel and Mailman my current host is running. The cPanel version is 78.0 (build 44) and the Mailman version is 2.1.27

There are some new templates with the currrent version of Mailman that could make what i am doing much easier.

The latest stable version of Mailman is 3.2.1 so someone is way behind, either the host has not updated cPanel or cPanel has not updated Mailman.

Actually Mailman shows this on their site:

22-Feb-2019 Mailman 3.2.1 (La Villa Strangiato)
24-Jul-2018 Mailman 2.1.29
And cPanel latest release was on Oct 7th, 2018 Version 84. So first that means that my host has not updated cPanel in a while. But the new version of cPanel should (considering the dates of releases) have either 2.1.29 or 3.2.1 of Mailman.

What version of Mailman comes with the latest version of cPanel?

Last edited:

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
First i apologize for the seperate replies in a row here, it helps me to manage my thoughts, i am not doing it to bump anything, you have my word on that. With that said this will probably be the last reply on this topic unless i can be convinced to keep this IMO hunk of junk called mailman.

I referred to it as that because i just got done watching this video

Mailman 3

in which the head developer of mailman is talking about version 3 and includes some discussion about previous versions as well. I understand this video is from 2013 however mailman has not changed much since then so it still applies.

In this video he discusses how the data in version 2 and before is placed in and out of pickle files and how that basically works. So my thought is, wait! the version i have is not even using a database that is nonsense IMO.

Then he discusses how passwords are sent through the mail in plain text. Once again im like what did he just say! Again im shocked! So a lead developer thinks its OK at any time to send plain text passwords through the mail, and he is still in the businness after freely admitting that... WOW!

Then he discusses how with version 3 how he basically used REST API to IMO hack (my word not his) things so that it would work the way he wanted it to.

Before even the end of the video i was asking myself "why would/does anyone even mess with this script?" I would not even wipe my feet on the code of version 1 or version2 for that matter because i would be afraid my feet would get corrupted. Yes version 3 has some big improvments but when the core of your project is still in the past how can anyone feel comfortable using this script for anything at all.

At this point i dont even like having it as part of cPanel and i wish i could remove it before i ever install cPanel on my new dedi server in feb 2020, its that bad folks IMO. And IMO mailman devs are still trying to build future versions on top of a foundation of a horrible script in the first place. Maybe i dont understand all there is about mailman, and maybe i dont understand the benefits that exist to make using it beneficial at all to anyone. But from a programmers perspective IMO its garbage.

They took an original horribly designed script that was IMO only intended to temporarily solve a feature needed for mail lists and rather than starting over when the time came they just basically shot some grease in the squeaky parts and shipped it. Now with version 3 they are trying to create something for current day usage while still using the old horribly engineered and coded core. Makes no sense to me folks...

I had planned this morning to code and put together some custom pages of css and html and post them here so that other users would not have to do so and could just copy and paste the code from here for their custom mailman pages. But honestly after most of the day reading, learning and watching. I wont ever use mailman for anything in my life unless they just start over from scratch and do it right from the start.

I am sticking with phpList and glad to do so, it may not be that great but its far better than trashy mailman IMO.

Sorry for the bad review folks, but i just felt i had to say something.

Peace, thanks for listening...

Dave :)

Last edited:

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
I appreciate the info, but sadly after commenting out much of the html that i dont need there are parts of the page that i cannot edit and so i dont believe it will work for me. I dont need to give members passwords or let them edit stuff, i just needed the subscription form part. However as i said there are buttons i cant edit, text i cant edit, and footers i cant edit as they must be in another file somewhere.
The passwords are required to subscribe to the list so that the subscription can be modified by users

The footer is in the file as:
Code:
<MM-Mailman-Footer>
And i can confirm that I was able to successfully remove it:

mailman_nofooter.png
In fact, to test whether or not I could fully remove everything I deleted all the data in the file and confirmed that I received a blank page.

mailtesting_blank.png
However i assume if i need further support for mailman to play around with it a bit, i would need to go to the mailman forum correct? I assume cPanel only supports basic features and everything else needs to be asked of mailman directly, would that be correct?
We can help with most things mailman related but if you want to talk to them they have a mailing list! GNU Mailman

What version of Mailman comes with the latest version of cPanel?
Unfortunately, because there is no direct migration path from mailman 2.x to mailman 3 cPanel is still using Mailman 2.1.29 as of now. I opened a case some time ago requesting mailman3 due to the fact that Python 2.7 will be EoL as of January 1 2020 but this has not been completed yet. The internal Case ID is CPANEL-26813

As far as your review of Mailman, I don't think I would be so harsh as it is widely used and relatively uncomplicated and reliable, but I do agree that it is dated. Keep in mind as well all that is done as far as passwords is allow the user to manage their subscription to the mailing list and I'd encourage users to change their password if they request a password hint (which is the only instance in which it's sent) furthermore, you can manage what is sent in that email by editing: the On demand password reminder page.