The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All crons randomly clear when adding a new one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by harleyx, May 13, 2005.

1. harleyx

harleyx Member

All crons randomly clear when editing them?

Hi All,

EDIT: Happened today, skip down to my last post for exactly what happened. Still don't know why it happens.

I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what triggers this, but for some reason when I use the simple cron updater to add a cron job, sometimes when I hit the save crontab button it'll pretend to update like you would expect, but when i go back to cpanel and go into the simple cron again all the jobs are gone (it's wiped clean).

I thought at first maybe I was hallucenating, and then I figured maybe I'd hit the cron reset button on accident - but since then I've been very careful.. sometimes it updates normally as you would expect and sometimes all my cron jobs just disappear.

Very annoying thing to have happen when I've got 5 or 6 jobs stored. Anybody have any clue why this would happen? Could it be a bug in the cron updater?

Thanks in advance.

#1 harleyx, May 13, 2005
    Last edited: May 17, 2005
  2. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

I'm curious if its just a display issue in cPanel.

Have you looked through cron via shell i.e.:

crontab -l (for the system cron jobs) OR
    crontab -u user -l (for an accounts cron jobs)

Are they missing here as well?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You should also check the file permissions and ownerships are correct on the files within /var/spool/cron/.

4. harleyx

harleyx Member

Yea, I know the file permissions are fine. Good thing to think about though. I don't have shell access, but I'll raise a ticket and my host will check out what you suggested. If I get more info on it I'll post.

Thanks both of you.

5. harleyx

harleyx Member

Ok, it just happened again today, here is exactly what happened:

3 crons were listed, and I had gone it to edit when one of them runs with the simple cron editor. I changed some info on when one of the jobs was going to run. The cron output email was filled out, as were all 3 crons (completely filled out with valid info). There was a 4th empty cron at the bottom for if I had wanted to add a new one. It was left empty.

When I hit the Save Crontab button, it said "Cron Updated" like normal. Then when I hit the "go back" link, it went back to the simple cron editor with 1 empty cron tab box and all my other crons gone. There are also none listed in the advanced cron editor, so I'm quite sure they've been deleted.

Any ideas why that would happen?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It could be what you're putting in as a crontab, are you using single or double quotes anywhere? If you post what you're putting in, that might help.

7. harleyx

harleyx Member

Can't be, because the cron tab wasn't changed, only the date/time when it ran. Those cron tabs have run fine for many days. Besides they're just calls to php files...

php .../mysite/myfile.php

I think it's gotta be something messed up with those form inputs or cpanel's script.. just gut feeling.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It could well be a scripting problem. If you're running an up to date release version and can replicate the problem, I'd suggest you log a ticket or open a bugzilla entry for it with cPanel.

9. harleyx

harleyx Member

Just thought I'd leave this, in case anyone feels like fixing it or runs into this problem later maybe they'll find this post and get the answer. The problem is (for whatever reason) the cron tab clears when updating in Mozilla (Firefox). Works fine in IE. Blown away nobody else has had this problem, as I'm running a very standard setup (XP Pro w/ Firefox as my main browser).

It's not a problem with javascript or anything I can see being disabled. Must be some IE proprietary code or some such.

10. fuzzie

fuzzie Well-Known Member

This just happened to me too.
    I lost all the old crons.

Does someone have the default crontab, or is there such a thing?

11. onaweb

onaweb Well-Known Member

I've had this happen to me as well. Using the cpanel cron job screen, I edit or add a cronjob and it blanks them out.

I've had it happen twice, so now I have a print out of our crons to refer back to when this happens.

Andy

12. eger

eger Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me. But I found out it was because the user was over quota. While over quota modifying or adding a cron removed all the crontabs. I can't remember if I was using FF or IE.