The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All domains disappeared from named.conf - any clues as to why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Jun 24, 2005.

  1. webignition

    webignition Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Messages:
    1,880
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    WHM/CPanel 10.2.0-C131
    CentOS 3.5

    I've just had an odd problem and, although it has now been resolved, I was wondering if anyone has either expirienced anything like it before or would otherwise have any suggestions as to why it may have happened.

    A few minutes ago I was updating a site I host for a client and upon refreshing the page I found that Firefox was unable to resolve the relevant domain name. Quite oddly, I didn't particularly mind for, as far as I can tell, there is some wierd DNS issue at the ISP level, the result of which being that for a few minutes every couple of hours none of my hosted domains will resolve for me when working fine from other locations. However back to the point.

    After a couple of minutes of domains still not resolving, I tried to ping the server's IP, which was successful, but failed to ping any domains. Everything showed fine in the service status in WHM, but just to be sure I checked that bind was responding correctly:

    Code:
    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> example.com@ns1.example.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
    As this looked somewhat not good, I tried to restart bind from WHM. Here is the relevant except from /var/log/messages:

    Code:
    Jun 24 15:47:12 core named[3383]: shutting down
    Jun 24 15:47:12 hostname named[3383]: no longer listening on 127.0.0.1#53
    Jun 24 15:47:12 hostname named[3383]: no longer listening on <IP address>#53
    Jun 24 15:47:12 hostname named[3383]: no longer listening on <IP address>#53
    Jun 24 15:47:12 hostname named[3383]: exiting
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named: named shutdown succeeded
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: starting BIND 9.2.4 -u named
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: using 2 CPUs
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named: named startup succeeded
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: loading configuration from '/etc/named.conf'
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: no IPv6 interfaces found
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: listening on IPv4 interface eth0, <IP address>#53
    Jun 24 15:47:13 hostname named[8574]: listening on IPv4 interface eth0:1, <IP address>#53
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: /etc/named.conf:23: couldn't install keys for command channel 127.0.0.1#953: not found
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: /etc/named.conf:23: couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#953: not found
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 42
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1997022700
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone 255.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 42
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 1997022700
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone localdomain/IN: loaded serial 42
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 42
    Jun 24 15:47:14 hostname named[8574]: running
    As you can see, no zone files were being loaded by bind.

    Thankfully /scripts/rebuildnamedconf and a restart of bind sorted things out. Unfortunately I fixed the problem before checking /etc/named.conf (which looks fine now), but I suspect that all hosted domains and subdomains went astray, on the basis that no hosted domains resolved, dig could not return anything decent and, when restarting bind, no zone files were loaded.

    I've had a look through /var/log/messages for the period preceding when this occurred and could see nothing at all out of the ordinary. If there were something odd logged I could investigate from there, but as it is I have nothing to go on.

    As this occurred in the middle of the day, it wouldn't be possible to put this down to any OS/CPanel updates as literally nothing was updated or changed inbetween things working and things not working.

    Therefore, has anyone encountered such an issue occurring before? Any ideas as to why it may have occurred?

    It would be very nice to know the cause so that I can possibly do something to prevent it happening again and so any comments will be greatly appreciated!
     
  2. Ramsy

    Ramsy Guest

    Prolly because new centos 3.5 update ?
    Take a look at named.conf.rpmsave or named.conf.old or smth
     
  3. webignition

    webignition Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Messages:
    1,880
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't believe that the upgrade to 3.5 would have been an issue here.

    I upgraded from 3.4 to 3.5 quite a while ago, a couple of days prior to the auto updates occurring, and everything has been otherwise fine since the update.

    If this had occurred at the time of the update, or was present since the update, I would be able to spot a likely cause. However the odd thing is that this happened during the middle of the day, with no cpanel or yum updates having occurred for hours.
     
  4. InternetPEI

    InternetPEI Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Same happened to me.. The /scripts/rebuildnamedconf worked :)
     
Loading...

Share This Page