The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

all mail forward

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by soldini, Dec 24, 2004.

1. soldini

soldini Registered

happy christmas everybody

i have a situtation and i need help

i have a reseller account in a cpanel environement. in edit dns zone, i create 2 mx records pointed to godaddy email server.

all emails send to the domain is forwarded to godaddy email server. but i realized lately that all emails sent from within the server is reside inside the server and did not forwarded to godaddy email server.

is there a way i can do to make all emails issuing from within the server go outside the server to godaddy ?

just a note that i am a reseller customer and i don't owe the server so i can't mess with the httpd or php.ini

thank you ver much

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Contact your host and ask that they remove the domain(s) in question from /etc/localdomains and add them to /etc/remotedomains .

Of course, if you have root access (or if your host is willing to grant you root access;), you could do this on your own, but more than likely, your host will have to do this for you and it would not take them but a few minutes of their time:)

3. soldini

soldini Registered

thanks for your prompt reply

isn't there anything in the control panel that prevent any email to stay with the current server and forward everything outside the server even if the mail is coming from a page sent by sendmail ?

if i put all my domains in the remotedomains and i did not edit my mx records to move all mails outside the domains, what will happen to the mail? do they go to their inboxes in the local server ?

#3 soldini, Dec 24, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, you must have the procedure performed that bamasbest described.

If you did that, the email would be thrown away because the server would first check whether it was local, then try and deliver it as remote, then realise it was local, but it's not configured as local and exim would have a heart attack, and the email would be lost ;)

You can either have email delivered locally with the MX records local, or you can set your MX records off-server, but then you must follow the remove from localdomains add to remotedomains rule.

5. soldini

soldini Registered

Thanks chirpy for your reply

i am learning here so i need to ask you guys this

i red somewhere on this forum that i SSH will do the steps that our friend bamasbest has mentionned above

do you think that my account as reseller permit me to do with SSH the modification required ? i mean, do you think i can access the etc/remotedomains to modify or create if not exist by ssh if i am not the woner of the server ?

if yes can you please write down the command in ssh ? lots of members will benefit when they know how to modify the file without referring to a support ticket and wait..

thanks again, i really appreciate your help a lot guys

#5 soldini, Dec 24, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  6. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Normally, it is a bad idea for a host to grant root access to a reseller.

This is due largely for security purposes as well as to prevent inexperienced users from accidentally screwing thing up by entering the wrong commands.

That said, IMO, if a host allows a reseller the option to modify their own MX records (without granting root access), then, that host should be more than willing to modify the files at the request of their resellers. IOW, if a host enables a feature for resellers/users, the host should stand ready to support that feature.