The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Mail Stops After Editing MailScanner??!!

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by appcomm, Feb 8, 2004.

1. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

I am running the following setup:

WHM 8.8.0 cPanel 8.8.0-R73
    RedHat Enterprise 3 - WHM X v2.1.2

When I download the Layer 1 install of MailScanner, it installs without a problem and works fine (immediately catching viruses).

However, when I edit the config file to make some minor changes (such as not delivering cleaned mail, not saving files in quarantine), then kill MailScanner and restart, NO mail gets delivered to the server!

Even rebooting the server does not solve the issue. I've installed twice and gotten the same results each time after editing the config file, killing and restarting.

Watching the TOP command after making the edits, I see MailScanner showing up every 5 seconds as a <defunct> process.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled again and it is working great, but I would really like to make a few tweaks to the config...any ideas why the edits are stopping mail?

TIA for any suggestions.

2. butch

butch Active Member

I am having the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved?

3. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

No...I wish! I'm running Mailscanner now with all the default configs. Still have the same problem, but haven't gotten an answer on this.

Did you edit the config file with pico (nano) or vi? Just occured to me that might be the issue, since pico screws up line spacing sometimes. Also, I'm going to check the permissons on the config file before and after I edit to see if possibly that is the issue.

Please let me know if you come across and answer and I'll do the same.

Thanks.

4. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

Found the answer to be...edit the MailScanner.conf file using VI....*NOT* Pico or Nano.

Made the same edits using VI and it worked fine.

5. goodmove

goodmove Well-Known Member

The mail stops getting delivered if there is spelling mistake in your configuation. Let's say you want to "disarm" emails that have forms embedded in them. I once wrote "disarmed" and all mail came to a halt... until I corrected it!

Pico isn't a problem if you run it with -w (wide).

6. appcomm

appcomm Active Member

Well...from my experience, I made the same edits with Pico (using the -w switch each time to prevent line wrapping) and each time Mailscanner would fail. Do the same edit with VI and all is good!

7. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Same problem and soultion for me. Thanks for the advice. Now i have to read up on VI again .....