Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED All reseller zones disappeared after transfer?

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Benjamin D., Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Benjamin D.

Benjamin D. Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    HELP! After using the Transfer Tool to migrate from server-A to server-B, when one of my reseller logs on their client's cPanel and click on Zone Editor, it's all empty. In the older server, they could manage their zone like MX record and SRV, TXT records.

In WHM tough, I can see all the zones, so I know they're on server-B alright, but they're completely "hidden" from each individual cPanel interface. How do I get them to show?

2. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anybody? Is there perhaps some sort of permission that would prevent zones from showing up in a reseller's customer's cPanel following a Transfer Tool migration from another server? They're showing up on server-A, why aren't they showing up on server-B? Same WHM version, all the exact same settings that I could change (I checked every single Tweak Settings line and they're exactly the same)

3. Jcats

Jcats Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    WHM > Packages »Feature Manager » Feature Lists

Choose the feature list you have for your resellers, if default, choose default

search for "Zone".

There are 2 Zone Editor permissions, check box.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cPanelMichael and Benjamin D. like this.
  4. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OKAY THANK YOU @Jcats . Indeed there's a checkmark missing next to "Zone Editor (AAAA, CAA, SRV, TXT)" so that's the solution. I liked your post, thanks again for this.

Now to cPanel: A suggestion would be that this features list would sync with the Transfer Tool like other settings. It would ease server migrations. Now I'll go over the whole server-A and server-B features list and compare to make sure everything 100% the same.

Thanks, you may close this thread.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Benjamin D.,

I'm glad to see the issue is now sorted.

The following option is available upon entering the source server details and fetching the account list in WHM >> Transfer Tool:

Packages

This will allow you to copy over packages (and their corresponding feature list) from the source server.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @cPanelMichael Unfortunately, it's not on my server. FYI it's WHM 72.0 on both server-A and server-B.

Those are the only options available on mine and anyway all of them were checked when I migrated the server last night:

(lol, I see the picture when editing this post, but it doesn't appear on the public view... oh well, it's there:
    - Removed -

#6 Benjamin D., Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
  7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If you need to post an image, please use the Upload a File button, bottom left corner of the reply box. :)

8. Benjamin D.

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Uhm OK, well I thought the IMAGE button was serving this purpose. Either way, I think I understand now what you tried to explain in your previous post about the PACKAGES. The way I thought it would have been is a list of ACL checkboxes (which I couldn't find as I posted in the screenshot that you removed) but now I understand that under the PACKAGES list, on the right hand, there's only a column that displays "default" since that's the only feature list collection I have on my server.

The problem is that all the packages I had on server-A always were on "default" and so, even tough I had checked all packages for the transfer, it imported them as the "default" feature list on server-B which is NOT equal to the "default" on server-A for some reason. Even when opening two browser tabs, I have trouble comparing the feature lists side by side, because it's not even listing the same ACL options even tough both servers are on WHM 72.0 which is quite puzzling!

The feature list is flawed by design. I would have expected the Transfer Tool to atomically segregate each ACL instead of just listing the name of the feature list ("default"). That "default" feature list NAME by itself doesn't explain to the Transfer Tool what ACL to set on the new server, so it's obvious now that it had to end up missing some. It's not even listing the same available ACL on both servers to begin with.

[server-A] >>>(import this package + set it to YOUR "default" feature list)>>> [server-B]
    [server-B] >>>(uhm OK but shouldn't you explicitly state all its ACL's?)>>> [server-A]
    [server-A] >>>(nah... yours are probably the same as mine anyway + I really don't care) >>> [server-B]
    [server-B] >>>(OK whatever)>>> [server-A]

See what the design flaw is? Instead, it should be:

[server-A] >>>(import this feature list named "default" with these ACL's)>>>[server-B]
    [server-B] >>>(uhm OK but I already have a "default" feature list here tough)>>> [server-A]
    [server-A] >>>(right, well rename it because we need this to sync perfectly fine)>>>[server-B]
    [server-B] >>>(oh yeah right, OK now that "default" feature list you wanted is named "default2" here)>>> [server-A]
    [server-A] >>>(sure, as long as we're talking about the same ACL's)>>>[server-B]
    [server-B] >>>(yeah yeah don't worry, they're safely stored in "default2" here)>>> [server-A]
    [server-A] >>>(good, now import this package + set it to "default" feature list I sent earlier ("default2") on your end)>>>[server-B]

inb4 you reply to me that the "default" feature list shouldn't be different on two WHM 72.0 servers, well it is in my case and I don't even remember in 4 years having modified any of it. Even if I had, then if "default" is supposed to be the same on all servers having the same WHM version, then why is WHM allowing "default" to be modified? It should be locked and it should force the sysadmin to create another feature list profile to begin with.

#8 Benjamin D., Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  9. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Benjamin D.,

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback on the Transfer Tool feature. One consideration for the Transfer Tool feature is that overwriting the default feature list preferences (or copying the source server's default feature list and assigning it to the transferred accounts as a new name) might not be something the administrator wants to happen. That said, I do see value in some type of notification in the Transfer Tool UI that alerts on differences with the "Default" feature list between the two servers, or provides some type of option to automatically address that during the transfer process.

I encourage you to open a feature request for these improvement to the Transfer Tool interface:

Submit A Feature Request

The feature request website is the best place to direct requests for changes or improvements to the product. It's actively monitored by members of our Developers and Product Owners.

Thanks!