The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All The bug/errors from cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny_T, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

Just wonder....

Many errors / bugs withy cPanel comes from cPanel updates self. Are those not tested well on several systems?
    If i look on the forums,most sollutions are coming from cPanel users.

As a system operator, i look at logfiles etc. I see that upcp has errors. Just one day on another day. Why is that happen all the time? Must i realy log in to the cPanel forums everyday to find a sollution from a other user that found one?

I look forward to a cPanel system that at least running 6 months without all those errors.
    Just to feel secure. I have much better things todo then fixing and looking for all those cPanel errors.

Just a question...maybe not gona use it but you never know :P -> Is there a cPanel-->DirectAdmin migrationtool? (whithout loosing anything and doing much by hand).

Danny.

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Running EDGE ?

3. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

Current tree (118)

4. rikgarner

rikgarner Well-Known Member

Danny - The problem here is the sheer diversity. Cpanel bend over backwards to make their software compatible with as many distro's as possible, but its naturally not possible to test every single scenario possible with every single distro.

If every single admin built their servers by dropping the OS media in, running the same install procedure, then installing Cpanel and letting their customers loose, then there would be no problems, as all Cpanel servers on the market would be identical, and there would only be one configuration for Cpanel to test. This scenario is completely improbable though, and if your like me, you will have gone a long way in "personalising" your servers (with things such as chkrootkit / rkhunter and BFD), and it is these which cause the bugs.

If you do not want to put the leg work in fixing problems as and when they occur, then you need to leave behind the features of the Current tree, and start putting your servers on the release tree.

The Cpanel forums are a great community, and its a fantastic technical resource when you have problems. Im happy to be a member here :)

Rich

5. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Current tree is not suitable for production servers. Since we switch to Stable tree, we haven't had a single issue since (since it hasn't been updated in months). Prior to that, we did see current breaking daily. In fact some clients switch it to current themselves and yesterday all those servers have cpanel crashing and unable to start. Downgrading to stable fixed the problem.

So if you find a tree too buggy, switch to another. You can't really want to have all the new functionality (some being released daily) and expect nothing to break.