The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow an external domain to use cpanel's smtp?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mvandemar, Dec 31, 2015.

1. mvandemar

mvandemar Member

My domain that I use for my primary email is hosted at Hostgator. Unfortunately various mailservers around the world, such as Yahoo and AOL, add HG's mail cluster ip's to their blacklists on a regular basis. This means that on most days I have at least 1 or 2 clients that I have issues communicating with.

I also have a vps with whm/cpanel on it with it's own dedicated IP on a completely different host. Is there a way to tell cpanel to allow an external domain to send through smtp? Or, if I set up the domain on there on an email-only type account, and create a mail2.mydomain.com, and use that, will that screw anything else up? What would be the best way to configure something like this? Note that I only want to send, not receive, through the vps.

Thanks.

-Michael

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :),

If your mail server IP's are getting blocked in anti-spam databases then you will have to update your mail server security. Please check following cPanel documentation and try to update it on your server.

How to Prevent Email Abuse - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

If you want to setup remote server for the mail then create same cPanel account on your remote server and update your domain mx record with your VM IP, so that you can use your VM as mail server for your domain.

3. mvandemar

mvandemar Member

I do not have access to Hostgator's mail server settings at all, and what you posted above has nothing to do with their setup. They have ~20 gateway smtp servers, and all of the outgoing mail for the millions of sites that they host is routed through them.

I don't want to use the vps for all of my mail, just for smtp. I want to keep the imap account on Hostgator. I stated in the original post that I only wanted to send, not receive.

No offense, and I do thank you for your reply, but as a suggestion if you want to reply with free advice on a forum like this as a way to market your server management company you should read the posts you are replying to a little more carefully before you reply. People will subconsciously pick on on more thoughtful answers and it will make your services look better.

I think I can do it by setting up the same domain on the vps, then deleting all of the dns records aside from the main A record and the MX records, which I will then point back to the HG server, and then setting up a smtp2. subdomain on the vps and using that to send. I was hoping there might be a more direct and less-hacky way of doing it though. I also need to make sure that the vps server messages still get sent to the correct server (ie. Hostgator) in the process.

-Michael

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    in your email client use an account on your VPS to send mail from (smpt login)
    no need to set up a domain for it (unless you have none that you control on your VPS)

webguy_ddm likes this.
  5. mvandemar

mvandemar Member

So I wouldn't need to whitelist the domain that I am sending from? I could create an email@domain.com account, where domain.com is on the vps, and it would allow me to send email@someothedomain.com through it?

-Michael

6. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Yes it would work just fine as long as you we use one SMTP user/server for all of our domains
    add a additional spf record for the IP of the VPS to you DNS

webguy_ddm and mvandemar like this.
  7. mvandemar

mvandemar Member

It worked great, thanks!

-Michael

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  9. mvandemar

mvandemar Member

It does work fine. The only thing I am not sure how to do now is set up dkim keys and have the server append them to the headers for that account, but I am working on it. I am not sure how necessary this is though.

-Michael