Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow custom virtual hosts to shared accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reygoch, Mar 15, 2017.

1. reygoch

reygoch Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    So, I want to allow my users to run custom apps on port 80 on shared account.

Right now, when I run nodejs app I have to use some other port since apache is listening on port 80, and users can't modify httpd.conf since it's server wide.

Is there some way to allow users to map ports in the background?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide a specific example of the command they would run, or how the setup would work? Is there a specific application you are attempting to use?

Thank you.

3. reygoch

reygoch Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Well, they would start their nodejs server or what ever server that would listen on port `8080` for example. To access such web application visitor would have to go to `mydomain.com:8080` instead of just `mydomain.com` (which is port 80).

What I want is that all traffic from `mydomain.com` is forwarded to my app on port `8080` in the background. Basically a reverse proxy.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This isn't natively supported, but I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request for this at:

nodejs Hosting

Additionally, you can review the comments on this request to see how other users have implemented workarounds.

Thank you.

5. reygoch

reygoch Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Honestly, I don't see why there would have to be a dedicated nodejs hosting feature. Nodejs works just fine as it is, except that I can't really map custom ports to port 80. I don't want to do this for just nodejs but for python, haskell and c++ (or what ever language) servers as well.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not aware of a supported method that would work for this type of setup. You may want to consult with a qualified system administrator for help with this type of configuration:

System Administration Services | cPanel Forums

Or, you may find more user-feedback on this type of configuration from websites such as StackOverflow.

Thank you.