The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow Outgoing Emails to Whitelist Only

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by wilito92, Jan 3, 2012.

1. wilito92

wilito92 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

I am trying to setup my business email using my domains with cPanel (
    11.30.5 (build 3)
    )installed. I am trying to setup some email filtering to reject all email messages that come from another domain except our domain.

We are trying to implement this for business purposes only and don't want employees using it to email friends, family, signup for services, etc.

We found how to disable incoming email messages and reject them but we can't find a way to reject outgoing email that is not going to our domain only.

Please advice on how to properly proceed on this matter.

Thanks,

W. Maldonado

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you explain the situation a bit more. Is this domain on the same machine where the emails are being sent and received? Is this domain the only domain on the machine?

If this domain is on the machine and the only domain that should be able to send and receive on the machine to that domain (not to any other domains), you can limit that domain from sending outside by doing the following:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f43/cpanel...mail-but-not-email-out-214011.html#post882892

You'd simply not put the email into the /etc/permitsend file at all, then it could only send out locally.

3. wilito92

wilito92 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Let's use the domain me.com as an example.

Currently all of our employees log to our server using Terminal Services provided by Windows Server 2003. Then each employee launches the Outlook program to check for emails. We are using an IMAP connection to our Server.

Basically we want each and every employee to only be able to send/receive emails from anyone that has an email from me.com. So wilito@me.com can email paul@me.com but paul@me.com cannot email wilito@gmail.com becuase it's domain is not @me.com. Now wilito@me.com and paul@me.com cannot receive emails from wilito@gmail.com or from any other email address that does NOT have the @me.com.

By saying this, email will only be used for business purposes and basically internal email is allowed between employees.

Currently we achieve this using the built in Mail Server provided by Windows Server 2003 but the only downside is that all emails are managed through our server and it's all internal, so there's no option to give employees access to email other than from the Server where they log into. That is why we are trying to keep mostly the same security and control structure but enable access to email from outside the office.

I hope this better helps you into understanding our doubts and requests.

Once again thanks for the help you have provided so far. I will go ahead and take a look at the link you just sent me to.

Please bare with us as we have zero to almost zero experience using cPanel and even less experience coding :)

Thanks,

W. Maldonado

UPDATE: Perhaps using boxtrapper and/or SPAM Assassin we can achieve our results? Like is it possible to blacklist all domains other than the domains in the whitelist?

#3 wilito92, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It isn't possible to blacklist all domains but one as far as I'm aware with those applications. The link I provided should work to restrict all outgoing emails to only allow one domain to send to itself outgoing provided you don't put that domain in the permitted senders list. When it isn't in the permitted senders list (/etc/permitsend), it can only send locally.

5. wilito92

wilito92 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I see. Does Exim come pre-installed with cPanel or do we have to install it? I was trying to find it in the cPanel Main Page but couldn't find it.

And if we have to install, can you point us to a guide of some sort? I was checking out the exim.org page and the instructions seem pretty complicated and we barely know what options need to be install or not.

Thanks Again,

W. Maldonado

6. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Exim is distributed as part of cPanel. The cPanel installer installs Exim while it is installing the rest of cPanel. Exim is the only MTA (mail transport agent) that cPanel is designed to work with, and we actually ship our own distribution of Exim. Please do not try to install Exim manually. The Exim installation provided by cPanel works as configured for most hosting situations, with no custom configuration needed on your part.

7. wilito92

wilito92 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for explaining.

Now... where do I find the specific area where I edit the Exim or Routers that you specified in your post? Since the Directory you provided was for WHM, where can I access that through cPanel?

Once again, I am very sorry for our poor understanding of how cpanel works and really appreciate your support so far.

Thanks,

W. Maldonado

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Unfortunately, it cannot be configured in cPanel but only in WHM. In fact, your hosting provider likely won't allow you to configure this type of routing at all if you aren't the administrator of the server.

I'd suggest contacting your provider for questions on this matter to see if they would be willing to configure anything for you on their side. You might try asking them about a routing situation similar to discussed here:

https://forums.cpanel.net/f43/prevent-restrict-outgoing-email-248591.html#post1028491

This filter would need to be done via the backend, since the cPanel > Account Level Filtering and cPanel > User Level Filtering areas do not allow selecting $received_protocol in the options.