The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow Remote Domains question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Markstein, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Markstein

Markstein Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello everyone,

I am new to WHM (I do know how to use cPanel however as I have used it on many shared hosting environments). With that said, I have a new fully managed VPS and just got off the phone with tech support while having issues trying to add Parked domains via cPanel.

Just in case anyone is curious, I am currently migrating to this new server so right now all A records for the parked domains are currently pointing to the old servers IP to view the website but using the new servers DNS. I needed to add these parked domains so that I can have a smooth transfer with no down time (once I complete the new website on this new server I will change the A records for these parked domains to the new server). I was not able to add these parked domains without errors.

The host changed a setting in WHM > Tweak Settings > Domains > Allow Remote Domains > On which then allowed me to add the parked domains however, they could not tell me the answer to the following question which brings me here (I was unsuccessful doing a search on the forum which provided results to this particular question):

According to the WHM documentation it is a security issue having this setting on. Since I have now added my parked domains successfully can I switch the setting for 'Allow Remote Domains' back to off without any issues?

Also, I am the only person logging into the server (no reseller, other people creating accounts, etc.) but when it comes to security issues I'd rather not leave settings on when they should be off even if I am the only one logging in.

Thank you for your time,

Mark

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes. It will not affect any existing domains.

You can also park a domain in the WebHost Manager using Home » DNS Functions » Park a Domain. The WHM function does not observe the setting you mentioned so it does not matter if it is on or off. The setting only affects what can be done in cPanel.