The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allow sites to access other sites?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blinker, Sep 10, 2003.

1. blinker

blinker Member

Can anyone tell me how to enable the ability for scripts to access files/directories on other sites?

This might seem like an odd question for some of you hosts/resellers, but I'm working across multiple domains on the same server, and a few of the sites share some data. I don't have to worry about someone messing up someone elses account as I control all of them.

At the moment, they don't have access across other sites, and thus I can't share information. I could via mySQL, but would really rather not rewrite things just for that purpose.

I've looking all in the WebHost client, and searched these forums, but I can't find it anywhere. I do have vague memories of seeing an option where you can keep them from doing this, but can't find it for anything.

Thanks in advance. :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. blinker

blinker Member

And as soon as I type this message it hits me that where I saw the option was in compiling apache.

So, guess I don't need help afterall.

:D

3. blinker

blinker Member

But, didn't fix my problem. Dang.

Anyone know how to allow a script from 1 user to access and change files on another user?

:(

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Could try using wheel group.

In WHM under "Manage Wheel Group Users" add the accounts that need to share to the wheel group, then you would chown any files involved to username:wheel and chmod to 775, 665, 770, or 660 depending on what's needed.

In other words, put the users in the wheel group and allow the wheel group to work with the required files.

This should work. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. ;)

5. blinker

blinker Member

I'll give that a try.

I was able to get it to work by chmoding the directory/files to 777, but that isn't really how I'd like it. What you say sounds more along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Thanks.