Root Administrator

Attachments

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi @cPRex

This thread appears to be the only info I could find on cpanel and AL9 - suggest someone could update the official docs... System Requirements for AlmaLinux OS | cPanel & WHM Documentation I appreciate it does mention AL8, but perhaps make it clear that later versions are not yet supported....

I wasted 20 minutes installing 9 only to get the cpanel error message in console.... not a big amount of time, but I did look for the info and could not find it, so found out the hard way!

Reactions: cool_recep

cool_recep

Apr 10, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Dude, you are lucky. We wasted hours only to find out that you have to specifically state to install MariaDB during a cPanel install. The default is MySQL. Detailed info was in a separate KB article

cool_recep

Apr 10, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
cPanel is really slow at adapting to new software. I know it needs to be tested but there are Alphas and Betas. You don’t have to wait a release, do you?

cool_recep

Apr 10, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I know but I have to add: Having an old/common one one does not make it secure either. And I have been on the edge for 11 years and never had a security problem at all.

WorkinOnIt

Aug 3, 2016
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I just want to add this statement..
Bleeding edge software doesn't make for a professional stable secure platform.
What are you referring to as bleeding edge? AlmaLinux appears to be fairly stable and a year old. Also, as far as I can tell, it's a 1:1 likeness of RHEL (very similar to Centos), so not really anything to worry about as there are no discernible differences (I could be wrong!)

However, we have installed it on a development server, so that we can have a play.... so in that case, it's not a production server concern.

But yes... it would be nice if documentation could be kept up to date.... though to be fair, cPanel does a reasonable job at that.... I've seen a lot worse!!

AND yes - I did have to delete MySQL and replace with MariaDB.... this post was very helpful.... great on a fresh install.

All told I had a new server up and running and secured within about 2 hrs (started from scratch with AlmaLinux) .... I thought that was pretty good!

ejsolutions

Jan 6, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
What are you referring to as bleeding edge?
Specifically version 9: I've been running 8.x for a while now, on a number of different servers, cPanel and others.
[Elevate (from C7) on one cPanel server screwed things up though, yet worked fine elsewhere. It's likely improved now.]
Alamalinux 8 from scratch has been flawless for me.

Reactions: cPRex