The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alocated space - limit without using

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by encrypt2, Oct 17, 2004.

1. encrypt2

encrypt2 Member

I have been told that if you create an account with 10MB, cpanel consider this space used in HDD, so that if you have a 80GB HD and create 2 users each with 40GB of disk space, you no longer can create users due cpanel restrict its space, even if not used. Is there a way to turn it off?

2. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    That is not true, cPanel does not pre "allocate" the space. Meaning you can oversell your space.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. There'd be a fair few hosting companies in trouble if it did allocate the full space for each account ;)

4. HappyPappy

HappyPappy Active Member

This is EXACTLY what happened to me a while back.

I signed up for a reseller account with a mob called SolidRack. As I was adding my accounts their cpanel system blocked me from adding anymore after about the fourth one.

I was astounded. I had not even loaded one single file in these accounts yet thier cpanel config was telling me I can't go over my quota.

Solid Rack Support told me it was because I created plans that allowed disk space that, when added up, exceeded my reseller disk space. "You can not oversell" was the reply.

The fact that the true space I was actually using was 0 (becuase I had not even loaded any of my client files) was of little concern to them. While they were helpful, they were adament that their systems did not allow my plan/package totals to exceed my quota.

So this means for a reseller account with 1 GiG space, it would have only allowed 4 x 250 MEG plans, even though each of these hosting accounts would have held less than 3 single megs of files. This was utterly ridiculous and totally useless to me.

I have now a number of reseller accounts with Coast Inc - their cpanel config looks at the TRUE disk space being actually used and the TRUE bandwidth being actually used - this is how it should be. And they are a damn good bunch to be with too.

So beware!!

5. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    while solidrack limted your account by resource usage; the newer guys didnt.

:) way to do business.

6. HappyPappy

HappyPappy Active Member

Isn't it the other way around?

Cost inc. actually limit my account based on the actual resources being used, but Solid Rack limit accounts by what packages you "invent" - even before any resources are even used.

But whatever the case for anyone looking at a reseller plan it will be worth your while to make sure you don't get caught like I was.

7. Apoc

Apoc Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I was just directed to this thread by one of our customers.

Sir, would you kindly let me know who you are, so that we can see whether you've been a customer of SolidRack at all? If this event happened at all, it must have been at least one year ago. Approximately a year ago we have changed our policy - customers may BY DEFAULT not oversell, however if they can provide us justification for the reason to oversell, we will always permit this.

Also, I would like to ask you to not call us a mob, it's uncalled for and unnecessary.

Kind regards,
    André van Vliet
    SolidRack, inc.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that SolidRack may not allow overselling and that's what the cause may have been. It's a perfectly valid and reasonable requirement of theirs, though they do need to make it clear.

9. Apoc

Apoc Active Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It was clearly in our policy at that time. Right now we do allow overselling though, so that rule isn't there anymore :)

10. PT109

PT109 Registered

Greetings, my two cents worth to support Solid Rack if I may.

I have been down that road myself with Solid Rack too. They worked off "Predicted Usage" and not "Actual Usage", which caught me totally. I was unable to add more than six hosting accounts and so the reseller account was unusable to me. I wasn't aware of a whm/cpanel config that limits based on "predicted usage" only - I thought that was insane.

However, to Solid Rack's credit they eventually refunded what I paid and I guess its important that this is mentioned out of fairness to Solid Rack.

I see that SR no longer limit their customers based on "Predicated Usage" (they called it "overselling"). Well done SR. Blocking your clients based on predicted usage is not exactly a strategy for success in my book. But that's only my opinion.