alternative faster way to transfer accounts from one server to another?

gundamz

Mar 27, 2002
Hi,

I have this problem whenever an account is 3Gb or more, the transfer will take very long to copy to my new server(via WHM account transfer function)

How do you guys deal with this problem?

gundamz

Mar 27, 2002
i wish this is a general discussion section. :D

i am asking for other admin's opinions. ;)

HH-Steven

Aug 29, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Infopro is spot on, theres nothing you can do except start the transfer and wait.

Doesnt matter what method you use, either way your still transferring 3GB of data, its going to take some time.

matthewdavis

Jun 26, 2003
NC, USA
What happens when you do the acct xfer with WHM is a new backup is made of the account. If you don't care about having a live snapshot of the account, you can:

• scp/ftp the backup tarball of the account in question to the new server
  • place the tarball in /backup/cpbackup/daily
  • restore the account using the normal whm restore acct process

That will at least cut down the time it takes, especially large accounts, to xfer an account.

WebScHoLaR

Dec 14, 2005
Planet Earth
Hi,

I have this problem whenever an account is 3Gb or more, the transfer will take very long to copy to my new server(via WHM account transfer function)

Best way to transfer large account is that check the size of each directory in /home/username directory and the directories that are of large sizes move them out of this account lets say in /home/BACKUP folder. After moving all large size folders you can simply transfer the account via WHM and once done, move the folders back to the account i.e from /home/BACKUP to /home/username and rsync or scp the folders.

Thats all.

rhenderson

Apr 21, 2005
Oklahoma
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

For large accounts we do a full cPanel backup ftp into the account from our server xfer it into either /home or /root and do a cPanel move restore.

jayh38

Mar 3, 2006
What I also like to do, split the backup into many smaller parts and concurrently transfer several parts at the same time. If your source or destination bandwidth is throttled, this will help a great deal by using multiple threads.

look up the split command and manually transfer 3 or more parts concurrently.
Of course don't forget md5checksum after you cat the parts together at the destination.