The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative ways of knowning *when* user changed his password?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fernandomm, Oct 20, 2010.

1. fernandomm

fernandomm Active Member

Nov 25, 2009

I usually check /usr/local/cpanel//logs/access_log to know when a user changed password by searching for lines like "changepass".

Unfortunately, at one of the servers that i'm checking, this log has only records of the last 2 days ( any ideas of why this happened? ).

Are there alternatives of how i can check when a user changed his password?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

Oct 2, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First of all, for why the log rotated, check WHM > cPanel Log Rotation Configuration for access_log being in rotation. If it is, take it out of rotation. It would be why the log cleared for those prior days.

Next, is there a reason you need to know when the password changed? You could simply remove the option to change the password for the users, then require they contact you for password changes as one alternative. Feature Manager gives you the ability in the feature list to remove Password Change option.

I'm not certain of other ways to know when a user changed the password personally, although it might be possible to create a script that would tie into the changepass utility to email you when someone does it.