The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always accept mail locally even if the primary mx does not point to this server.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by laurel, Dec 5, 2007.

1. laurel

laurel Registered

Can someone explain to me what this option does? I was told that it basically makes the MX entries void, that when checked, whatever MX entries you have changed do not have any effect. This makes no sense to me, because in that case, you would just not change the MX entries. So I'd really appreciate an explanation.

2. nsz

nsz Well-Known Member

I'm also curious.

3. dexus

dexus Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can someone please explain this.

4. idealso

idealso Active Member

It means that if the hostname specified in the MX record is not on the local cpanel machine, the domain still ends up in /etc/localdomains. It's useful if you have a separate server doing mail filtering before it reaches the cpanel server, as we do.

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Idealso - I'm sorry to bring this thread back to life but perhaps you can answer this - as you are someone using external mail filtering and I'm about to implement it on our servers...

I had a ticket open with cpanel today, asking for some advice concerning implementing our mailfoundry appliances.

I asked about whether the cpanel servers would remove the domains from the localhosts file if I updated the mx records directly in the zone files on the cpanel dns servers. I explained that the domains should still be in the localhosts file "as if I had ticked the box - Always accept mail locally even if the primary mx does not point to this server".

Part of the response was...

Thats obviously a concern to me.

I also asked about using the DNS templates to add the MX record in automatically for new accounts and whether that would remove the domains from the localhosts file.

I was told...

Well thats not an option. I want them to be created automatically.

Then I got...

I'm left feeling kind of concerned that I've just spent good money on some mailfoundry devices and its possible we wont be able to use them.

Do you use the DNS templates to set your MX's automatically ? Are you having any problems with this ? did you have to customize anything ?

6. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please PM me your ticket #.

Thank you.