The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always delivering email via the Internet or 2nd server rather than locally

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cits, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cits

cits Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    This might be a simple question, but it's doing my head in thinking about it!

We use cPanel accounts to host sites that we're re-developing, and the NS for the particular domain do not usually point to these dev sites during the redevelopment process.

The Problem:

The problem that we're encountering is that emails sent from the these dev accounts get delivered locally if the domain is listed in the /etc/localdomains file or if the local DNS zone file points to the dev server.

Sure, we can change these to point to the current externally-hosted domain (and mailserver), but it would be great to have some way to set this up such that we don't need to keep editing the local DNS or localdomains files each time we bring an account out of dev...

(It would also be excellent to prevent resellers setting up accounts for common domains where email shouldn't be delivered locally - i.e. preventing local email delivery to a local account with the domain of (say) hotmail.com. I know that there is an option in the WHM "Tweak Settings" to "Block common domain usage" but it doesn't always get common second level domains...)

The question:

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows a way that we can set things up so that email always gets SENT EXTERNALLY to be delivered via the Internet (thus using the correct MX records for delivery). The server would still need to RECEIVE email as specified by active MX records or via domain literals from (say) Postini in dual-server delivery mode, for example.

Is it possible to reconfigure exim to always send via an independent cPanel server on our network, for example? If so, how would we set this up please?

If not, any other thoughts most welcome!!! :)