The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always seeing Max CPU usage of exactly 50%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ralphonz, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ralphonz

ralphonz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Hi,

I have a shared hosting reseller account with Hostpapa which uses WHM and cPanel. I don't have shell access and have limited WHM access.

After running into high CPU usage on my primary domain i decided to try to find the source of the problem. After removing all of my files from the public_html directory I was left with only two email accounts being checked via IMAP with a total size of about 107MB.

However, I'm still seeing a constant Max CPU of exactly 50% in the resource usage panel. What strikes me as odd is that it is always exactly 50%, never 49% or 8% or 66% like it is on my other sites.

My host is not being the most helpful, replies often take an entire day and progress is slow.

I really need to get my site back up as soon as I can.

Can anyone here offer any thoughts, advice or things I can check to resolve this. Am I seeing a problem with the server?

Thanks in advance,

Ralph

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's likely not something you can resolve without root access to your server. Is the 50% usage reading actually resulting in your website failing to load? You may need to consult with your hosting provider to see what the best course of action is.

Thank you.

3. ralphonz

ralphonz Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Well, the 50% usage which Im seeing without anything on there will result in my website not loading sometimes because the resource limit is reached. I didn't think my site could be using so much CPU so to trouble shoot the problem I decided to remove all files from the account (except two email account) - i did this because my host was just blaming wordpress plugins and cron scripts.

I'm still seeing the CPU spiking at 50% though without anything on there but I'm having a nightmare trying to get my host to admit that there is any problem at all. Surely, with only a couple of email accounts CPU usage should be spiking somewhere much lower than 50%?

I need to know that I've tried everything I can in order to convince the hosting company to sort it out, they just want me to upgrade to VPS but I know i don't need to, something is making the CPU spike at 50% and there isn't even a website up!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest asking your hosting provider to offer up additional information about where the CPU usage is coming from. They likely need to address the situation from their side if you have disabled your website and the issue persists.

Thank you.