The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambiguity in the DNS cluster setup

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rmar, Jul 1, 2014.

1. rmar

rmar Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello

I'm setting up a DNS cluster. For the sake of simplicity we'll say there is server A which is runs the full version of cpanel and server B which runs Cpanel DNS only.

When I add, edit or remove a DNS zones from server A I want that to be synced to server B.

Now I have set this up in the past and it worked fine but I remember being a bit concerned by the ambiguity in the text for the roles for the different servers in the cluster.
    There are many references to this server and I can certainly interpret that both ways i.e this server being the server we are currently on or this server being the server that we are updating (i.e the remote server).

Can you clarify which it means? It may also be worth noting for future updates. My fear is that if it's set up the wrong way rather then the correct records being sent to server B the blank records from server B will instead be imported overwriting the correct details.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Use "Synchronize Changes" or "Write Only" when defining the DNS role in Web Host Manager of your hosting server. This will ensure the changes are synced "TO" your DNS-Only server. This is documented here:

Configure Cluster

Thank you.

3. rmar

rmar Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. I was working from the configure cluster document but as with the last time I read through it I was unsure to which server this server referred. The one that the page is hosted on or the one that you're selecting the option with in the drop down.

As it has the potential for fallout I felt it best to bring it to your attention.

Thanks again for clearing it up.