The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amd or intel for new server

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by morphina, Jan 31, 2006.

1. morphina

morphina Member

Hi, this might not be cpane related (somewhat cause i'll be using whm to administrate it)

AMD 2400 xp vs a 1.3 dual processor server, both are 512mb of ram, can anyone help me decide on what it will run faster on
    Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

I would go for the Dual 1.3Ghz Intel setup rather than the AMD. If I am correct, the clock speed of an AMD Athlon 2400 cpu is around the 1.6ghz mark, so the two intel cpu's combined would do a much better job with almost twice the power.

3. morphina

morphina Member

the server come with 512 mb of ram, adding another chip is just a flat fee while monthly fee stays the same, which is pretty cool, so you think a dual 1.3 is better than an athlon xp 2400, this server will deliver lots of ads btw...

4. celliott

A dual 1.3 would certainly handle bigger loads better providing the server has been properly configured to make use of both of them. In effect you have twice the power and cache making it a 2.6ghz server.

512MB Ram is not too bad either. A few tweaks to MySQL and Apache can get your normal ram usage down to about 20% or even less.

5. morphina

morphina Member

thanks for your input cellion!

the dedicated server is being os reloaded :D right now :) :) i've already bought 2 gb of ram and about to send them over to the peeps over at acenet

6. celliott

Good to see that you have a quick setup. I have ordered a new server through Layeredtech and its still sat in the build & deploy queue :(

7. morphina

morphina Member

yeah layered tech servers seem really nice, we might use this server just to handle server side compiling and get a layeredtech server for database