Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AMD64: FreeBSD 6 or CentOS 4.2 ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tarionyx, Feb 14, 2006.

1. tarionyx

tarionyx Registered

Which would you all recommend for a webserver running CPanel??

Here are the hardware specs:

Tyan GT20 1U Barebones
    Opteron 170 Dual-Core
    4 x 1GB DDR400 ECC Registered
    4 x 250GB SATA2 HDD
    ARECA PCI-e 4-port SATA2 Hardware RAID Card (RAID5)

Any suggestions? I just want to get some ideas before purchasing my license or testing one out. Thanks in advance!! :)

2. ShockHosts

ShockHosts Well-Known Member

That would run cPanel for sure!!! Where are you getting that server from :) I want one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd go with whichever OS you're more comfortable with. Things to consider:

1. cPanel doesn't apparently support FreeBSD v6 yet (see front page) so you may not get support, etc

2. FreeBSD development is usually a few steps behind RH derivative linux since the latter appears to be the main development platform (some see that as an advantage)

3. I would not recommend using an x64_86 OS and to stay with a 32bit one instead

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Somewhat related, is CentOS 4.2 fine to use with cPanel?

I have half a thought in the back of my head that there might be problems with it, although I may be imagining this. I ask as I'll be ordering a new server soon and don't want to get anything wrong!

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No problems with 4.2. I use it on a few of my own servers and many clients without issue. The only problem I've come across so far is the secured /tmp logrotation issue which can be fixed using the FC2 approach of a separate tmp for logrotate.

6. webignition

Thanks for the advice!

I recall having that very issue on a previous FC2 server. I don't recall what the solution was, however you did post one that I followed and which worked. I'll have a hunt around for it and see what turns up.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

8. webignition

9. tarionyx

tarionyx Registered

I'm comfortable both with FreeBSD and with Linux. I was just always under the impression of FreeBSD being more secure. My experience with Linux, more recently, has been with Gentoo, which has portage. I used RedHat way back in the day, so I'm familiar with the RPM system, but as with ports/portage, I prefer compiling so that its optimized for that system.

I would see that the RH development being newer than FreeBSD as an advantage also...

I'm mainly concerned with how I keep the system up to date...ie keeping apache and php, security fixes, etc...Do I manualy do that, or is it done through CPanel??

After reading a bunch of the x64_86 threads and what not, it seems some people are running it without problems...what are the advantages/disadvantages of running a 32bit OS vs 64bit ?

I feel like I would be wasting it running a 32bit OS.

10. tarionyx

tarionyx Registered

I just order parts from newegg and build them myself. I have two similar ones, and one with a dual opteron 270 going in my rack at home to run exchange server and either a FreeBSD or Gentoo server for running Cacti and Nagios.

Colo is more fun :)