Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Ampersand in Mail Forwarder not allowed

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by swbrains, Jun 23, 2018.

1. swbrains

swbrains Well-Known Member

I saw this thread from a while ago:

Ampersand in Forwarder Name?

But it appears unanswered. However, I am experiencing the same issue. Although the ampersand is a valid character in an email address, cPanel won't allow me to create it in the UI or via the API.

2. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't know the answer but will it allow you to use the alt code 38.

I tried this and NO is the answer.

3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello @swbrains

I was initially looking at this as an issue with the product but after some testing I'm curious, where are you able to create an email address with an ampersand in it? It's not recognized in cPanel, Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook and none of them accept an ampersand in the username. This leads me to the conclusion that because it's not an accepted form of username it wouldn't be allowed in the forwarder section either.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. swbrains

5. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @swbrains

While that post from stackexchange may indicate that the & is an allowed character in Gmail addresses it is not as far as I can see, I attempted to create an email address with one in it and no luck. The documentation noted here: Name and password guidelines - G Suite Administrator Help is valid for both Gmail and GSuite namely:

While I do believe it is accepted as RFC compliant to use its not widely accepted due to the fact that the & is a special UNIX character. I did just find a feature request for this here:Allow special characters for email account address local-parts that may be useful for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. swbrains

I see. Perhaps Gmail has changed their restrictions more recently. However, my initial interest in this thread came from the fact that a customer had submitted a valid email address containing an ampersand to my script that called the API to create a forwarder, so apparently those email addresses are in use and should be considered for inclusion as per the feature request you've mentioned. I've added my vote/comments to that item.

cPanelLauren likes this.
  7. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @swbrains

I completely understand your reasoning for wanting the ampersand included. I hope some movement is seen in the feature request to resolve this for you and thank you for voting on it.