The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analog stats huge file size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by surf chick, Apr 27, 2004.

1. surf chick

surf chick Active Member

My webhosting account was 100 then 250 and now unlimited MB (the host changed it to see how big analog would get) to cope with a rapidly increasing tmp/analog file.

It was deleted once by the host when it was up to about 250 MB and within a week or two it was up to that level again.

Now it's up to 619 MB. The rest of my site is about 100 MB (about 30 MB for phpnuke which I don't use) and bandwidth is about 0.5 - 1 GB per month.

I've searched and occasionally found comments about tmp/analog becoming large but not really much information as to why. The host would prefer not to disable it (I'd be happy if it was disabled but I think it can only be done for the whole server?).

Any explanations or suggestions (other than setting up a cron job to regularly delete it)?

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Analog is garbage and any Hoster using it should have a very, very good reason. Webalizer is also starting to be disabled as it is a somewhat 'demented' script and does what it wants, when it wants.

As the stat logs are included in the Web space used for an account, it is to 'your' dis-advantage for a Hoster to use any that have not proven themselves as a good stats script -- like AwStats has.

3. surf chick

surf chick Active Member

Ok, thanks. I don't think I've even seen an analog file - I've tried but obviously, opening up a 619 MB file remotely is going to take a while, and anyway, with only 256 MB of memory locally, it's tough on my computer...

I usually look at webalizer, I've seen awstats but it's not available on this server. I should suggest he replaces analog with awstats from the sounds of it.

Is the enabling/disabling ability dependent on the hosting setup then? Like can my host set it up so individual accounts can choose to enable or disable things like analog? Or can that only be done on the server?

I think he's partly keen to let it go just to see what happens or to figure out why it's inflating itself like that.

4. Born2Kill

Born2Kill Well-Known Member

hmz analog file is in /home/user/tmp/analog
    i thing that file name is cache
    can i erase that file ?

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the Server is not using Analog you can safely delete the whole 'analog' directory.

6. Born2Kill

Born2Kill Well-Known Member

but what if a after some time want to turn on analog stats again ? will analog stats work normal without any problems ?

7. UnkleMunky

UnkleMunky Registered

600+mb tmp file for Analog is HUGE! Especially when your BW is only 1gb or less. I thought mine at 33mb was huge when I was using about 1-2gb of BW. I got so annoyed I asked the host of that site what to do. He said just delete the whole folder (tmp/analog).

At first I was reticent to do so and just renamed it to something else. It kept working.....either in that folder or in a new one, I forget....but didn't go away! A couple months later I just deleted it all. It was gone ever since! :)

BTW, I doubt you'd ever want it back, so wouldn't worry about that.

Is there anyway your host could open the 600+mb file and take a look at it? Then you could decide what to do with it. In my opinion Analog stats are a waste or space and time.......

I just use Webalizer for quickie view of things, but anything more serious I'd go with something else....the log/stats stuff in CPanel's stock offering aren't anything to brag about. But you should be safe in removing your local Analog folder and be done with it! If I'm wrong, folks, please correct me.....

8. surf chick

surf chick Active Member

If I delete it, it just comes back again.

I tried looking at it myself but the computer I was using only has 256 MB of RAM so it was a bit overwhelmed. I'll ask the host to have a look...

File is up to 900+ MB now. I presume it's not browser hits because webalizer shows normal stats.