The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and just another thing that doesnt work!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzi4648, Dec 22, 2002.

  1. ozzi4648

    ozzi4648 Guest

    Suspending a site created by a resellers from WHM doesnt work. It only stops ftp and the ability to visit the site at the URL level. But one can still log into the sites account on port 2082. And there is no suspended account page that shows, something we can edit in WHM. Amazing! At least 75% of this works!!!!!!!!

    When the hell will they fix all these damn bug? Why do i keep reporting it and nothing is fixed? Why do they ask me for my server ips and pw so they can log into my server, BUT THEY NEVER DO. Why do they close tickets claiming the problem is fixed when there is no record of them even visiting my site? Why do we have to keep reporting bugs over and over and over only to be asked stupid questions about the problem? What is up with these people? I dont work for cpanel and im sick of writing essays describing the problem in great detail! How much more of an explaination do they need?
     
  2. jamesbond

    jamesbond Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2002
    Messages:
    738
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    18
    [quote:23b9b29a18][i:23b9b29a18]Originally posted by ozzi4648[/i:23b9b29a18]
    When the hell will they fix all these damn bug? Why do i keep reporting it and nothing is fixed? Why do they ask me for my server ips and pw so they can log into my server, BUT THEY NEVER DO. Why do they close tickets claiming the problem is fixed when there is no record of them even visiting my site? Why do we have to keep reporting bugs over and over and over only to be asked stupid questions about the problem? What is up with these people? I dont work for cpanel and im sick of writing essays describing the problem in great detail! How much more of an explaination do they need?
    [/quote:23b9b29a18]

    What I still don't understand is that cpanel support barely posts here, this is the CPanel support forum after all.
    One is more likely to get decent answers on WHT than here.

    There are many people who have the same problems/bugs.
    In my opinion it would make more sense for them to reply to posts here, so everyone can benefit from it, which in turn will reduce ticket load for them.
    I guess CPanel support must have a different opinion on this matter.
     
  3. Website Rob

    Website Rob Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2002
    Messages:
    1,506
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Good points, all, and only DarkOrb knows for sure.
     
  4. ozzi4648

    ozzi4648 Guest

    [quote:c7dcb3a15b][i:c7dcb3a15b]Originally posted by Website Rob[/i:c7dcb3a15b]

    Good points, all, and only DarkOrb knows for sure.[/quote:c7dcb3a15b]

    The problem is that the entire Cpanel team seem to be a group of only 2 or three people. I have no idea how many of them are programmers but non of them are support staff. Just like Ensim, suppot does not exist which is pretty sad. If it doesnt exist i will be forced to go elsewhere H-Sphere?
     
  5. SageBrian

    SageBrian Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2002
    Messages:
    415
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    NY/CT (US)
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually,

    when you look at the list of updates, you can see that they have been extremely busy. Notice how there always seems to be an 'edge' update.

    And, the 'stable' releases are monthly. Not too many companies update their software as often.

    BUT.... perhaps that is the problem. :(

    Perhaps additions should be slowed down to ensure all bugs are worked out first. Sometimes it seems like there is some kind of race to keep adding features, and then a quick band-aid is used to fix things.

    Maybe there should be an end-of-year regrouping, where no new features are added for a little bit, and a cleanup of code and bugs is done. THEN, maybe some kind of manual or updated FAQ?

    In the long run, this will keep the complaints and support tickets down, if just a month was used to organize.

    I, for one, have now disabled all auto-updates.... even the so-called 'stable' ones. I figure that I'll update when I'm ready to deal with the bugs.

    Brian
     
  6. ozzi4648

    ozzi4648 Guest

    [quote:8da9ff2081][i:8da9ff2081]Originally posted by SageBrian[/i:8da9ff2081]

    Actually,

    when you look at the list of updates, you can see that they have been extremely busy. Notice how there always seems to be an 'edge' update.

    And, the 'stable' releases are monthly. Not too many companies update their software as often.

    BUT.... perhaps that is the problem. :(

    Perhaps additions should be slowed down to ensure all bugs are worked out first. Sometimes it seems like there is some kind of race to keep adding features, and then a quick band-aid is used to fix things.

    Maybe there should be an end-of-year regrouping, where no new features are added for a little bit, and a cleanup of code and bugs is done. THEN, maybe some kind of manual or updated FAQ?

    In the long run, this will keep the complaints and support tickets down, if just a month was used to organize.

    I, for one, have now disabled all auto-updates.... even the so-called 'stable' ones. I figure that I'll update when I'm ready to deal with the bugs.

    Brian [/quote:8da9ff2081]

    I totally agree with you. Updates should be slowed down the important bugs like SSL Authentication bug and others should be coded and tested. Whats the use of adding more features if it breaks somethig else. For eg after last night E106 upgrade my Interchange took a poop and i woke up to about 200 email messages that Interchange is down. I will have to look at the Interchange error.log to see whats up with it but this is just a classic example.
     
  7. AlaskanWolf

    AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2001
    Messages:
    537
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Fremont CA
    due to the structure of the licensing system, most of everyone in here take for granted getting support directly from DarkOrb, but at the same time DO created a catch 22 because often times, they are the only ones that can solve a problem.

    DarkOrb needs a major restructure in regards to support, because their current one just doesnt hack it.
     
  8. SageBrian

    SageBrian Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2002
    Messages:
    415
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    NY/CT (US)
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    [quote:f7acd5ead6][i:f7acd5ead6]Originally posted by ozzi4648[/i:f7acd5ead6]

    [quote:f7acd5ead6][i:f7acd5ead6]Originally posted by SageBrian[/i:f7acd5ead6]

    Actually,

    [/quote:f7acd5ead6]

    I totally agree with you. Updates should be slowed down the important bugs like SSL Authentication bug and others should be coded and tested. Whats the use of adding more features if it breaks somethig else. For eg after last night [b:f7acd5ead6]E106[/b:f7acd5ead6] upgrade my Interchange took a poop and i woke up to about 200 email messages that Interchange is down. I will have to look at the Interchange error.log to see whats up with it but this is just a classic example.[/quote:f7acd5ead6]

    :p
    Ozzi,
    I'm kind of amused that, with all the issues you seem to have (well commented on this site) :) that you choose to go with Edge releases.

    By definition, the Edge release is a Beta, every time. So... it should be expected that there are bugs in it. You are choosing to be the guinea pig.

    If you are looking for less bugs, stick with the Stable. My comments are directed to the fact that the STABLE versions end up screwing things up, and THAT should never be the case. Stable should mean &Test, tried, and true&, or, in other words... &Stable& :)

    They should be as adventurous as they want with the Edge releases. But don't release stable until fully tested.
     
  9. SageBrian

    SageBrian Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2002
    Messages:
    415
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    NY/CT (US)
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    another thing...

    sometimes the 'trouble' is not from cpanel, but a change in some supporting software like Exim.

    In this case, a 'patch' should be release on the stable version, without any of the 'edge' stuff. Simple fix the stable version to make sure it works with the Exim (or other software) change.

    The recent Exim / SpamAssassin change screwed things up, ignoring the .conf files. This took a while to fix. At least it appears to for me since I only use the Stable version. It may very well have been fixed the next day in the Edge release, but that does me (and other Stable users) no good. Plus, there was no mentioned that it had been fixed in the edge. The old... lack of info thingy. :)

    Don't get me wrong... I'm not complaining here. I love the abilities I have, and really like the add on's as they come in. I'm just suggesting a little pull back to ensure dependability. If everything works great all the time, then there will be less reason for looking at alternative solutions from others.

    I'm sure the others, Plesk, etc, have similar issues. I think if one of these companies worked on dependability and documentation, they would probably pull ahead of the pack.
     
  10. Website Rob

    Website Rob Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2002
    Messages:
    1,506
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    Location:
    Alberta, Canada
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would think that one of the biggest compliants (I know it is for me) is the lack of feedback or actual support from DarkOrb within this Forum. Anyone browsing the threads will notice that 99% of the time, it is people who use WHM/Cpanel helping each other. Very little comes from anyone at DarkOrb.

    Was that the intent for this Forum?
     
  11. PWSowner

    PWSowner Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2001
    Messages:
    2,948
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    ON, Canada
    I agree with most of the statements here. The stable release should be worry free. I wouldn't care if there was only one new feature a month added. Not that long ago they didn't have the various release options and I didn't like updating. I was happy when they came out with the different release levels, until running into trouble with 2 stable updates. Now I only update if there is a new feature I want, or usually when I have to update to fix something that magically went wrong. It would also be nice to see help replies here from the cpanel team more often.

    Some say edge releases are safer which I actually think may be true because with that one, when a problem is found it's fixed quickly and sometimes us stable users have to wait for repairs to problems.

    I just wish I knew every detail about how servers work, and especially how cpanel works so I could fix bugs myself immediately. I'm learning more every day, but I have a long way to go before I can know everything.
     
  12. Radio_Head

    Radio_Head Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2002
    Messages:
    2,051
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    38
    [quote:9d7f312833][i:9d7f312833]Originally posted by Website Rob[/i:9d7f312833]

    I would think that one of the biggest compliants (I know it is for me) is the lack of feedback or actual support from DarkOrb within this Forum. Anyone browsing the threads will notice that 99% of the time, it is people who use WHM/Cpanel helping each other. Very little comes from anyone at DarkOrb.

    Was that the intent for this Forum?[/quote:9d7f312833]

    I agree .
     
Loading...

Share This Page