The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1 and cPanel Email Accounts

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Gene Steinberg, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Here's a peculiar one: I'm setting up a client's Samsung Galaxy S III, running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.

Using the standard Mail client, it appears that email setups for Gmail and regular IMAP accounts is straightforward. Works fine with Gmail and mostly with Apple iCloud mail (doesn't map to proper IMAP folders, though).

However when I send a message via any of the cPanel-hosted accounts, the text of the message is duplicated in the copy in the Sent folder.

So:

cPanel support says it's not cPasnel. I checked in a number of Android forums and found someone complaining of a similar problem with Yahoo! mail on the same handset, but there was no solution.

Any ideas?

Peace,
    Gene

2. jakesully

jakesully Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    there is some settings for mail signature part where you can edit signature note and i will have a try on my S3 as well that has JellyBean 4.1.2 :) to see if it is really android device bug on 4.1.1 or not

#2 jakesully, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. Gene Steinberg

I did alter the signature, as you see, to take out the plug for AT&T. Let me know if you find something I can examine. Or even if you have the problem with a cPanel-hosted email account. Thanks.

Peace,
    Gene

4. jakesully

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update: i have tried it now and signature duplicate is not there so either you must have got same signature on e-mail account settings as you got on your mobile e-mail setting so that makes then 2 signatures i guess when it sends a mail so try checking e-mail account on cpanel for any signature inside settings if you see same signature as you got on your e-mail setting on mobile then delete one that is setted on cpanel e-mail account then it should be 1 signature and not last but not least it also could be a bug inside 4.1.1 e-mail client that comes by default on Android 4.1.1.

5. Gene Steinberg

I turned off Signature, and the problem still existed, so it's not the signature. My cPanel email setups do not contain signatures. This is the signature that comes standard on the smartphone, minus the AT&T plug. I even replaced the signature with a different one, after reactivating the feature, but that didn't remove the duplicate text.

Is there a way to upgrade to 4.1.2 on the AT&T version of the S3? It says I have the latest (4.1.1).

So I need to see what else might cause this. Would you help me match up your configuration with one of my accounts to see if that's part of the problem?

Peace,
    Gene

6. jakesully

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    if it says 4.1.1 is latest then AT&T hasent released a 4.1.2 version for their S3 since some companys need to customize android for it to work with their service or something like that and yes i could match up settings on your account and mine to see what is causing issue.

7. Gene Steinberg

Would it be possible for you to make some screen shots of your cPanel-hosted account setup? Obviously I don't care about the usernames and such, just what you configured.

If you'd like, you can open a private message with me and arrange to send it to my email address. I'll look it over and see what's different. Or I can send you screen captures of my setups if that helps.

Peace,
    Gene

8. jakesully

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i can fix some pictures but it might be easyer if i can show you in a live way some how like a live video so check your PM for my message about this :)

9. Gene Steinberg

Send me a private message and we can hook up and make this happen, OK? Thanks for offering.

I suppose we could do a Skype hookup, or would screen shots be enough.

Peace,
    Gene

10. jakesully

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i got Skype so i will PM you my skype name so you can add me :) and then you PM me your skype name so i will know when you have accepted :)

11. Gene Steinberg

Thank you.

Peace,
    Gene

12. Gene Steinberg

I wanted to update everyone on what I've learned. Hint: It's not cPanel's fault.

Here's the scoop:

I confirmed it on a Samsung Galaxy S3, configured for AT&T and running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1.

The symptom is as follows: When you check your Sent mailbox on a device other than the Galaxy S3, such as your Mac, PC or another mobile device not running the Android OS, you'll see the message text repeated twice. It's OK on Gmail. I cannot check it on Apple's MobileMe/iCloud email, because the Android email app doesn't properly map IMAP folders, such as Sent, if the names are not the traditional Sent, Draft, Trash and Junk, but named in other ways, such as Sent Items, etc.

The problem, however, is repeatable on a cPanel-hosted email account and, in fact, on a DreamHost email account, which uses a different and proprietary setup scheme. So it's not a cPanel issue, but probably an OS or device problem -- or both.

I'm surprised, however, that I can't find anyone else reporting the issue. The email configurations are all standard IMAP, without any special customizations.

Thanks to "jakesully" for taking his personal time on a Saturday evening to help me out, including providing me a test account on his server.

Peace,
    Gene

13. Gene Steinberg

Final report: Problem has now been confirmed by Samsung and has been escalated to their R&D. Really!

Peace,
    Gene

14. eots

eots Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm actually having the exact same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, so it's not just an S3 issue. I hope Samung plans to fix this for all of their Android devices and not just the S3.

15. Gene Steinberg

On further testing, the problem appears confined to the email client. I tried some third-party clients that didn't exhibit the problem. Some even let you map local folders to the IMAP server folders. But most are buggy in one way or another. Some are free with paid "Pro" upgrades, so if you want to experiment with a new email app, stick to free until you are sure it meets your needs before paying for the Pro license (usually ranging from $3.99 to $17.99).

Peace,
    Gene