The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android Phone Can't Access Cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silverwrapper, Mar 12, 2010.

1. silverwrapper

silverwrapper Registered

I have a bit of an issue here, and wondered what solution there may be to correct it if anyone has knowledge of or suggestions.

I have successfully tethered my Android Cliq to my laptop, but when I try to access Cpanel or WHM, I get prompted to login over and over again, even after I login with the correct information. My tab blinks like crazy sometimes and I am unable to do anything else in my browser, so I close Firefox. I have also tested with Explorer and am also unable to access cpanel or WHM without constantly getting login prompts popping up. When i close one prompt, another will open up, and I will have to continue to close them as the page loads.

Any tips or help on why this is happening would be much appreciated. I have tried accessing cpanel with both ports 2082 and 2083.

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    • To help with troubleshooting and to clarify my understanding, please let us know the following information:
      1. What is the direction or path of the connection that is involved when accessing the cPanel server; specifically, is it like one of the following examples?
        • PC >> Android >> Internet >> Server running cPanel/WHM
        • Android >> PC >> Internet >> Server running cPanel/WHM
      2. By "Explorer", are you referring to Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, or something different such as an "Explorer" application on the Motorola Cliq with Android?
      3. Are proxy sub-domains enabled? This may be determined via the following menu path in WHM:
        WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> Domains
        • "Add proxy VirtualHost to httpd.conf to automatically redirect unconfigured cpanel, webmail, webdisk and whm subdomains to the correct port (requires mod_rewrite and mod_proxy)"
        • "Automatically create cpanel, webmail, webdisk and whm proxy subdomain DNS entries for new accounts. When this is initially enabled it will add appropriate proxy subdomain DNS entries to all existing accounts. (Use /scripts/proxydomains to reconfigure the DNS entries manually)"
      4. If proxy sub-domains are enabled, are you able to login via this access method (such as "http://cpanel.domain.tld/" without specifying a port number)?
      5. What authentication method is being used for cPanel and WHM; is it cookie-based authentication or is it via HTTP Authentication? This can be determined by viewing the Security preferences on the Tweak Settings page in WHM as accessed via the following menu path:
        WHM: Main >> Server Configuration >> Tweak Settings >> Security
        • "Disable HTTP Authentication for cPanel/WebMail/WHM Logins (forces cookie authentication.) This will help prevent certain types of XSRF attacks that rely on cached HTTP Auth credentials"
      6. Via root SSH access, please run the following command to help confirm and verify certain configuration options:
        Code:
        # egrep "cookieipvalidation|referrer.*safety|skiphttpauth|xsrftokens" /var/cpanel/cpanel.config

P.S. I apologize for the numerous questions. Knowing the specific details requested will greatly assist in forming a more accurate diagnosis.

3. sharmaine001

sharmaine001 Well-Known Member

I have an Android phone and I dont have any problems with accessing cPanel

4. mohit

mohit Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are able to login when using other connectivity and the same password.

5. freak3dot

freak3dot Registered

I've noticed the same Issue

I've noticed the same issue and think I can provide more details.

I'm teathering a Nokia Nuron on tmobile.

I'm also having trouble accessing cpanel with the teather but it works fine with other internet connections.

What I'm experiencing is I put in the cpanel un and pw and it successfully loads the cpanel home screen. Then prompts for cpanel un and pw again, then it loads another file and prompts for un and pw again. So, my take on it is that it is prompting for cpanel un/pw for each file loaded. Probably: Images, css, javascript, main html, etc.

So, I don't think tmobile is blocking the port which is refered to here: Is T-Mobile blocking cpanel port 2082? - T-Mobile Community
    I don't think they are blocking the port because things are loading but instead I think something happens to the BASIC AUTH transaction as it passes through their network.

CPanelDon, I'll give some of your suggestions a try on my whm/cpanel vps.net server since I have root on that box. Then, I'll report.

6. freak3dot

freak3dot Registered

First, I tried the cpanel.domain.net thing and was still seeing the same troublesome behavior.

I checked and the setting you noted in #5 was checked. I think that means it was disabled. So, I enabled it (unchecked). Then, I saved it. At that point, the recurring login for each file stopped.

This takes care of the dedicated and virtual servers. But what about the shared servers? Is there something that tmobile needs to do here?

7. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I appreciate the informative feedback from your testing. From the provided information, my understanding is that the issue was only occurring while using Cookie Authentication, and that the difficulty was alleviated after switching to HTTP Authentication.

To use Cookie Authentication, this inherently requires allowing the browser to store a session cookie, but if this is restricted or cannot occur due to the browser configuration or other limitations in the mobile environment then I would imagine there may be some difficulty when attempting to log-into to a service via cookie authentication.

Is your mobile browser able to accept and store cookies? I would check to ensure that the mobile browser configuration allows saving session cookies.

The mobile service provider might be able to help guide you in reconfiguring the browser to ensure that it allows saving session cookies.

8. LegacyABN

LegacyABN Registered

I picked up an HTC Desire which has android and when I try to go to our cpanel server through the phone, it's just a blank page. Nothing happens. It was blank using the default browser and also downloaded bolt and it was also a blank screen.

Did you have to make any changes in your phone in order to access cpanel?

Gisele