Announcing Account Based Pricing

andres207

Aug 3, 2019
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
However, companies such as Amazon doesn't really want too much customer interaction - this is quite clear when looking at how the support in general work at AWS.

One of the things that undoubtedly have made cPanel popular over the years is their amazing support. A thing that Amazon doesn't really see the importance in, unless you pay them a billion dollars.

Big companies like Amazon does not mean Amazon exclusively ...

In fact, I have already seen a small company seeking private financing to develop a control panel since cpanel made the announcement of the billing model change public. And they shouldn't be the only ones ....

The funny thing is that you think cpanel is the only coca cola in the desert.

So according to your theory the price increase is to pay people who work in cpanel support?

Well ... I have been a cpanel user for 10 years and I have never contacted cpanel support, if I have contacted partners like buycpanel that resold licenses when there has been a problem with the licenses. And interestingly you are killing the partners too.

Well honestly I don't care about cpanel. This week I canceled all the licenses I had and I already have all my servers running with another control panel.

You have already lost me as a client, just like many others

From what I see you are of that kind of toxic people who only see their own reality.

Last edited:

WebHosting-UK

Dec 8, 2017
UK
web-hosting-uk.com
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
28 pages of speculations, hate and silly people.
Incorrect. 29 pages of either current or existing customers telling of their disappointment in a brand they once trusted.

I don't blame them for venting their anger because of the amount of time it takes to change everything including:

• Updating / changing customer packages.
  • Researching and moving to a different control panel.
  • Moving server.
  • Changing prices.
  • Updating their website with new features.
  • Adding integrations.
Almost like starting up a a new hosting business again but how you say its "hate and silly people" is very narrow minded.

Reactions: wswd

LucasRolff

May 27, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Any source? I like statistics. :)
Sure, I'm one of them. And pretty much all hosting providers I know don't mind either - for a simple reason:
The cost our products are high enough, to be able to cover a $0.2 increase per account, because the increase is a tiny percentage of the revenue (and profit). So it doesn't really matter much.

• Updating / changing customer packages.
  • Researching and moving to a different control panel.
  • Moving server.
  • Changing prices.
  • Updating their website with new features.
  • Adding integrations.
Updating/changing customer packages shouldn't take that long, if it does, it's a lack of automation - but e.g. updating packages across servers, is a few minutes.

Researching and moving to a different panel, is indeed time-consuming, but then again, it's your choice to do it.

Changing prices can be done in bulk as well.

And depending on the integrations, it can either be automated, or it has to be done once, regardless of the number of servers and accounts.

Again - it's all your own choices, you can also just stay with cPanel if you want to avoid the above things. Sure maybe you'd have to change your pricing if you can't cover the additional costs in your packages.

CanSpace

Nov 25, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Sure, I'm one of them. And pretty much all hosting providers I know don't mind either - for a simple reason:
The cost our products are high enough, to be able to cover a $0.2 increase per account, because the increase is a tiny percentage of the revenue (and profit). So it doesn't really matter much.
You likely don't offer reseller hosting, VPS or dedicated servers. All of these offerings will need to be adjusted dramatically. Not to mention the issue of how to deal with clients that are paying you annually (which is no longer practical to offer).

For smaller clients that are just using cPanel to host a few sites, this will indeed not be an issue. For larger clients it's an absolute nightmare - and the larger guys are the ones paying cPanel the most money.

I know for a fact that OVH is exasperated about this change, along with literally everyone else I've spoken to in the industry.

LucasRolff

May 27, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Big companies like Amazon does not mean Amazon exclusively ...
But when you say "like Amazon", you're referring to the type of company that Amazon is.

And that in itself, I think is a far stretch. Companies like Amazon isn't exactly the type of companies that would build such a product.

But we'll see.

In fact, I have already seen a small company seeking private financing to develop a control panel since cpanel made the announcement of the billing model change public. And they shouldn't be the only ones ....
That's ok - changes happen, people make decisions of building a control panel. That doesn't mean it will actually turn into anything. The far majority of ideas never actually turn into something huge. We all know that.

The funny thing is that you think cpanel is the only coca cola in the desert.
No, not really. But quite a few of them are just fuzzy and warm. People have their opinions. I have mine as well.
But no, cPanel is not the only one in the desert ;) And I never actually said that.

So according to your theory the price increase is to pay people who work in cpanel support?

Well ... I have been a cpanel user for 10 years and I have never contacted cpanel support, if I have contacted partners like buycpanel that resold licenses when there has been a problem with the licenses. And interestingly you are killing the partners too.
No, but a large portion of running a company, is in fact your support department. And it doesn't matter whether you as a customer of a reseller have never contacted cPanel directly, the tickets towards BuycPanel might every well have resulted in a ticket towards cPanel. Might also not have been the case.

From a supplier perspective, having a control panel provider that you know are there 24/7 with smart people, in itself is a selling point, regardless if you need them or not.

That was in fact my point with the support at cPanel being good.

From what I see you are of that kind of toxic people who only see their own reality.
I think I'm generally the other way around. Because I'm a minority, my opinions don't matter as much as other people's opinion does. But I see things from a customer and a company perspective.

If you see that as "only my own reality" - then sure, see it as you like.

You likely don't offer reseller hosting, VPS or dedicated servers. All of these offerings will need to be adjusted dramatically. Not to mention the issue of how to deal with clients that are paying you annually (which is no longer practical to offer).
No, I do not offer reseller hosting, and the reason being that it's a market that is so dense and is based so much on the cost, that people don't wanna pay a decent price for it. So I can't see why I would ever go into a market like that.

People's expectations when it comes to reseller hosting, in my opinion, is unrealistic - they expect XX or XXX, or even unlimited accounts for a low price. And I, honestly don't see the point in doing that.

I do offer VPS or dedicated servers, and no, I do not offer cPanel included in the price for any of those two - I offer the panel that people want to use. If that's cPanel or if that
s DirectAdmin, that's their choice, if they later want to change to another panel, then they can do that. I don't care.

And getting paid annually doesn't change anything for me anyway :)

For smaller clients that are just using cPanel to host a few sites, this will indeed not be an issue. For larger clients it's an absolute nightmare - and the larger guys are the ones paying cPanel the most money.
Depends on the client. If they offer shared hosting, the change can be completely fine. There's a good amount of US providers with 100k+ customers that will continue to use cPanel for their shared hosting platform, because they can justify the pricing. The same providers are looking into other solutions for reseller solutions or VPS/Dedicated servers where they included a license, where they're most affected.

I know for a fact that OVH is exasperated about this change, along with literally everyone else I've spoken to in the industry.
Because OVH has to implement usage-based billing? Sure it's a change in their licensing API, but they do have the functionality in their billing system to do usage-based billing, so for them, it will be a base price for a license with X users and then the additional users for the license as a one-time billable item. Their platform supports it.

parawing742

Dec 31, 2003
Tennessee
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@LucasRolff I'm not sure what cPanel is paying you to defend them, but it appears you've had a big change of heart. Here's what you said only a few weeks ago on the day when the price gouging was first announced:

June 27, 2019
  • so you have to put more work on your customers because you're greedy--LucasRolff
  • I think cPanel should take a step back, and ask themselves if they really thought this through--LucasRolff
  • Sure, but [Plesk is] still owned by someone greedy--LucasRolff
  • sure cPanel is great in many ways, but it also sucks in many ways. there's so many things in cPanel that from an admin perspective is just god awful--LucasRolff
  • any party that has to deal with this pricing is going to have to do so much changes--LucasRolff
  • The thing is, Plesk and cPanel combined under the ownership of Oakey generates a marketshare above 50%, this per EU regulations means they're also not allowed to drive up prices (just like phone companies are not allowed to drive up prices in "agreement" with each other) - so in fact Oakley could get sued by EU--LucasRolff
  • clearly [small hosting businesses] don't matter to cPanel--LucasRolff
june 28, 2019
  • the thing is, the owner of cpanel is an investment company, as much as we hope customer feedback would be taken into account, we also have to realize, that the “job” of an investment company, it to squeeze out as much money as possible, regardless of customer satisfaction.--LucasRolff
  • One can say that’s a negative view, but it’s sadly the reality, as I also said when they first got acquired, but I was told not to be pessimistic... now seeing this, I got my view from back then proven to be right ... once again--LucasRolff
  • They want us to switch away from cPanel--LucasRolff

Last edited:

andres207

Aug 3, 2019
Spain
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
However, companies such as Amazon doesn't really want too much customer interaction - this is quite clear when looking at how the support in general work at AWS.
Well, they optimize the interaction with help pages and guides, but if you need interact with someone on aws they have a very good ticket system to interact with them like any other company.

And on AWS they created ligthsail with preinstalled images among others of plesk and wordpress with bitnami to attract all small fish and dominate the web hosting industry. Explain to me why the hell it would not be productive for them to have a pre-installed image of their own control panel in lightsail for which they will charge $ 10 or $ 15 a month if they sell cloud hosting in lightsail starting at $ 3.50 per month.

LucasRolff

May 27, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@LucasRolff I'm not sure what cPanel is paying you to defend them, but it appears you've had a big change of heart. Here's what you said only a few weeks ago on the day when the price gouging was first announced:

June 27, 2019
  • so you have to put more work on your customers because you're greedy--LucasRolff
  • I think cPanel should take a step back, and ask themselves if they really thought this through--LucasRolff
  • Sure, but [Plesk is] still owned by someone greedy--LucasRolff
  • sure cPanel is great in many ways, but it also sucks in many ways. there's so many things in cPanel that from an admin perspective is just god awful--LucasRolff
  • any party that has to deal with this pricing is going to have to do so much changes--LucasRolff
  • The thing is, Plesk and cPanel combined under the ownership of Oakey generates a marketshare above 50%, this per EU regulations means they're also not allowed to drive up prices (just like phone companies are not allowed to drive up prices in "agreement" with each other) - so in fact Oakley could get sued by EU--LucasRolff
  • clearly [small hosting businesses] don't matter to cPanel--LucasRolff
june 28, 2019
  • the thing is, the owner of cpanel is an investment company, as much as we hope customer feedback would be taken into account, we also have to realize, that the “job” of an investment company, it to squeeze out as much money as possible, regardless of customer satisfaction.--LucasRolff
  • One can say that’s a negative view, but it’s sadly the reality, as I also said when they first got acquired, but I was told not to be pessimistic... now seeing this, I got my view from back then proven to be right ... once again--LucasRolff
  • They want us to switch away from cPanel--LucasRolff
cPanel is paying me nothing, I can't see why they should.

I was angry when the announcement was made because I felt the changes were bad.

Now, I took a step back, looked it all over, made some calculations about how it affects my customers, how it affects me, and how it affects my future pricing.

After sleeping on it for a few days, I didn't see any reason to be upset, I got to talk to cPanel staff, that has been available for questions, and fellow competitors about it. I, and the competitors (and friends in the industry), we all saw the changes are affecting us minimal, even for some that have 50k+ customers.

Most of the licenses I have, will go up roughly 25% in cost, which is perfectly acceptable. I have 1 license (cPanel Solo) that will go from $15 per month, to $45 per month - a 300% increase.

For that specific license, I'm transferring the machine to a VM and will end up with a "cPanel Admin Cloud" license - that increase is $5, however, it gives me space for another 4 accounts, which in this case actually benefits me, since I can split up the given account during the migration, so I get a better setup.

I honestly have nothing to hide - if I did, I would not post my opinions under my own name.

Since you've already been digging up all the bad things I've said, then I think you should go back to the 29th and onward to see me changing my opinion - you'll be able to find this on Discord, IRC and Slack.

So sure - dig up bad things, but remember to dig up the rest as well ;) Don't be the one only looking for bad things when you have to "expose" people.

To do a small Q&A:

Were you mad during/after the announcement?: Yes

Why where you mad?: Because I didn't listen to my own advice and take a step back

Why did you change your opinion?: Because I realized the pricing didn't affect me heavily, and the changes can still be justified

Do you do reseller hosting?: No, I do not - which also means, I won't be as affected as others

Why don't you switch to DirectAdmin like millions of others are doing?: Because cPanel still for me, and my customers is the best solution. It offers the least amount of flaws. cPanel isn't perfect.

Do you love cPanel?: Yes I do, and sometimes there's frustrations, sometimes we have bad moments, sometimes we have different opinions. But overall it's at a healthy balance, and that's what matters for me.

Do you recommend cPanel?: Sure I do. For me it has never been about having the cheapest software, then I would have went for another panel to begin with.

@parawing742 - do you have any other questions you'd like to have answered? If so, feel free to reach out to me either here, in a PM, on my email (shouldn't be too hard finding that by doing a search on my name on le big Google).

LucasRolff

May 27, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
And on AWS they created ligthsail with preinstalled images among others of plesk and wordpress with bitnami to attract all small fish and dominate the web hosting industry. Explain to me why the hell it would not be productive for them to have a pre-installed image of their own control panel in lightsail for which they will charge $ 10 or $ 15 a month if they sell cloud hosting in lightsail starting at $ 3.50 per month.
Yeah, AWS trying to compete with DO, Vultr and Linode, but being Amazon that likes to charge a premium (For a good reason), they created a cheap product, and deliver cheap "cloud hosting". The actual performance of Lightsail is rather awful, even for the price point. I believe centminmod created a rather extensive benchmark of cheaper providers, where Lightsail really shines in terms of being slow.

Oh well - whatever floats your boat sir!

CanSpace

Nov 25, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
As most people are saying on webhostingtalk, I think the only real positive here is the competition that this move will cause. cPanel was a great option with their previous pricing and for that reason everyone used them, and real competition was slim. Now that we have thousands and thousands of people migrating to DirectAdmin and other panels, we'll definitely see a lot of legitimate options going forward.

Training all our staff on a whole new panel seemed like a daunting task at first, but most of them are enjoying the challenge. It's also helped us realize how little the end-users were actually attached to cPanel itself. We have already migrated several dozen resellers to DirectAdmin (as they preferred that option to paying per-account) and they've informed us for the most part that their own clients didn't even notice a difference.

In the very long run (ie 2-3 years out) once we migrate more and more servers away from cPanel, our costs may ultimately be lower than before this mess started. So it may just be a short-term nuisance for long-term gain.

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Oakley capital (robber capital) should definitely hire infopro after sinking cpanel and withdrawing its investments. He's been fighting for days to make this disaster look like a good thing. Oakley capital will be the perfect employee for new companies to be destroyed.

CanSpace

Nov 25, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Great! Thank you very much for raising our prices in exchange for nothing! Your customers are super excited! (sarcasm)

Ok, bye CPanel on several servers we have, hello Plesk!
FYI Plesk and cPanel are both owned by Oakley Capital - I would avoid anything owned by this company. The industry is moving towards DirectAdmin as a result of this.

drego85

Jun 24, 2010
Hi guys,
I'm sorry to read these important price changes.

I have been a cPanel customer since 2008 with a small VPS, I have this solution because I don't want to "gift" my eMails to Google, etc. etc. I want to handle them.

I currently have 5 domains, only one of them receives mail.

I have about twenty sub-domains which are mainly redirects (example: password.xxx.it redirect to xxx.1password.com).

If I now combine all the domains in one account, can I convert my "Solo Cloud" license to 15 dollars?

How many domains can an account contain (for the license)?

Obviously the security of having 5 accounts for 5 domains is better. Now if a domain is compromised the attackers can read everything! No good! :(

I tried DirectAdmin for a week, but mail handling is pretty scary!

Thanks

Infopro

cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
Staff member
May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
forums.cpanel.net
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
can I convert my "Solo Cloud" license to 15 dollars?
Assuming you purchased your license from cPanel directly, please contact cPanel Customer Service to discuss at this link:

If you purchased your license from somewhere else, you'll need to contact them.

Reactions: LucasRolff