Announcing Account Based Pricing

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You must not sell VPS or dedicated servers
We do.

You now have to adjust your packages and charge your resellers per account. How do you manage that without changing your billing system?
By not giving our service away for free ;-) We don't offer resellerhosting for $1 for 100 accounts. We've always charged our resellers based on how many accounts they want to be able to create.

VPS/Dedicated is damn near impossible to keep track of
You can track that through Manage2.

What happens if you have a dedicated customer who decides to create a million accounts, and then leave you high and dry at the end of the month?
Become a partner if you're not already - that solves your issue :)

webmaestro

Registered
Sep 12, 2019
Toledo, OH
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I have been a loyal cpanel user for decades. I had a brief experience with plesk and ran back to cpanel. But I now feel a strong motivation to look at alternatives. One of the most disappointing things I've seen since I've been in business is when a company takes over a product or service and runs it into the ground. This cpanel change gives me flashbacks to when EIG bought Hostgator and the previously solid product and service went to hell. I will now be looking at cpanel alternatives with my server provider. Very frustrating and sad turn of events.

Reactions: wswd

wswd

Aug 9, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
By not giving our service away for free ;-) We don't offer resellerhosting for $1 for 100 accounts. We've always charged our resellers based on how many accounts they want to be able to create.
I don't either, but at $0.15 - $0.20 per account, that's a major price change for your resellers. 100 accounts would be $20/mo. just for cPanel. Even if you had a 100 account reseller plan for $40/mo, you either raise the price considerably, or you take a 50% hit in profit.

You can track that through Manage2.

Become a partner if you're not already - that solves your issue :)
Doesn't solve anything. The billing model now changes to post-usage instead of pre-usage. Like I said, if a dedicated server client or VPS client creates a million cPanel accounts on their server, then just leaves without paying, who is stuck with that bill? In the past, they would pay for the license at the begining of the month, and there was no additional cost based on usage.

Actually...you know what solved my issue? Moving to DirectAdmin. Our migration is almost complete on all our servers, and we also ceased offering cPanel licenses on VPS and dedi. That's the real way of solving this issue.

dc1177

Jun 13, 2019
Sweden
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Actually...you know what solved my issue? Moving to DirectAdmin. Our migration is almost complete on all our servers, and we also ceased offering cPanel licenses on VPS and dedi. That's the real way of solving this issue.
Can you please share your experience with DirectAdmin and if there is a guide to migrate?

Tam

Jul 31, 2004
Cancelling all of our cPanel licenses right now, this is a massive price increase for dedicated servers even with a single account. Unacceptable.
Should the Solo, Admin or Pro prices be applicable to dedicated servers and not Cloud only, then we may reconsider, but once migrated why would we make the effort to migrate back?

ChrisDeVe

Apr 18, 2018
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Cancelling all of our cPanel licenses right now, this is a massive price increase for dedicated servers even with a single account. Unacceptable.
Should the Solo, Admin or Pro prices be applicable to dedicated servers and not Cloud only, then we may reconsider, but once migrated why would we make the effort to migrate back?
No, you don't, they are so sure people will support the move, they believe you don't have any alternative and you will stay, but customers care about TRUST, they will leave and prove them wrong.

AlbaHost

Registered
Nov 16, 2015
Tirana, Albania
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
This is the most bad thing that ever whm cpanel have made in his history, althrought everyone is moving away bigest companies aswell like linode, iniz etc, including us we have to cancell at the end of this month all of our licenses and moved to interworx. Even if cpanel will be free after we migrate we will not use it anymore. You should shame on yourself and you will, im pretty sure about this!

Can you please share your experience with DirectAdmin and if there is a guide to migrate?
Maybe you might try interworx, which it's really great panel and it has cpanel migration per account or in mass transfer. That's what we used to manage.

zFastLee

Registered
Feb 26, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Just out of interest - those who have moved already to DA or Interworx - are your customers sticking with you now you no longer offer cPanel Hosting? I'd imagine cPanel (being the industrys "standard") - would be what customers are after? Am I wrong?

tigerton

Registered
Sep 17, 2019
Sweden
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I was in to Cpanel.net today to purchase a new yearly licens for VPS (I think this is my 12th), couldn't find it and browsing the forum I found this!!!
$160 a year is now $540 for the same (how can you explain this to your customers, come on!!!)
$160 a year is now $180 FOR ONE ACCOUNT
Good software and SAAS suppliers always render in buyout and a price increase out of this world. I think they all suffer form the illness of power blind such as Adobe, Groove and other companies that have revised their business model with increase price for customers upp to several 100% with no benefits.

The sad part is that small businesses can't compete with larger scale hosting providers.
The good part is that this is opening the market for open source solutions, headless CMS and SpinupWP etc

But don't forget that without customers they aint - Removed - so I would advise anyone unhappy with this change to move to lesser system right away, don't wait it out if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

vacancy

Sep 20, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Buycpanel is the largest certified distributor and receives huge discounts. But he also works with maximum profit and gives prices from the ceiling. This swelled Oakley robber appetite and eliminated buycpanel to get the discounts back to him.

The Oakley robber follows a very dangerous way. Someone must stop this company before they finish the hosting industry.

Hueznar

Feb 24, 2004
Spain
We are a company in Europe that hosts about 50 cpanel licenses for our clients, and after seeing the little shame with which they intend to rob their clients of so many years, we have made the decision to progressively migrate our cpanel infrastructure for other alternatives .
It is impossible to pay more than a 300% rise. It's a theft.

Many of our clients have contacted us to ask for advice and migrate to other panels where people are more respected.

Cpanel: We were so happy with you and you ruined our trust in you. We will never forgive you this.
Do not hesitate for a second in the KARMA of the universe.

You are simply thieves.
see you forever

unity200

Nov 16, 2006
Whenever an investment company buys out a company, they screw the customers to milk them up for maximum profit of their shareholders. Countless good, innovative tech companies have been ruined in that way in the past decades. People who havent contributed to building anything the company has built, move in to milk the customers/users for their own gain.

The best reaction to this kind of skulduggery would be to remember the investment company's name, remember the name of its CEO, and stay away from whatever they are involved in.

Im also going to look for alternatives to cpanel. Virtualmin seems an alternative, its GPL version is pretty sufficient, their pro licensing is reasonable, they are still owned by their developers. Even more, its possible to do things like High Availability setups which are not possible with cpanel at all.

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
After recent changes i am afraid of cPanel.
1. I think they charge you for the full month if you have not uninstalled cPanel from your server while not having active license.
2. they changed $14 VPS price to like $45 just because i am hosting a few tens of small cpanel accounts. I have not seen any prior notification about this.
I am afraid which other things they will come with and i will be turning to alternative panels (i will not link to it from there as some poor m0d may ban me due to that - if they don't do it just because i written this).

So what is the answer to the question in the topic title?
What if i paid for the license In September, and decided to cancel maybe one day before due date in October? Will they charge me for whole another month if i had their SW still installed on the server 3 days after due date? Will they sue me for not paying this additional overpriced penalty license fee? Currently looking for the alternatives. I hate what they did regarding penalties and dramatic price rise without proper notices way ahead.

CanSpace

Nov 25, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Just out of interest - those who have moved already to DA or Interworx - are your customers sticking with you now you no longer offer cPanel Hosting? I'd imagine cPanel (being the industrys "standard") - would be what customers are after? Am I wrong?
We've been reaching out to our customers one by one, asking if they would prefer a price increase or switch to DirectAdmin. The vast majority have said they would rather switch to DA, and they've all been fully happy with the switch. cPanel has indeed been the "industry standard" for the last several years, but that almost certainly won't be the case going forward.

wswd

Aug 9, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We've been reaching out to our customers one by one, asking if they would prefer a price increase or switch to DirectAdmin. The vast majority have said they would rather switch to DA, and they've all been fully happy with the switch. cPanel has indeed been the "industry standard" for the last several years, but that almost certainly won't be the case going forward.
Same here. Almost completely moved over to DirectAdmin, and the clients really don't care one way or the other.

Almost get the pleasure of leaving these cPanel folks for good. :) Looking forward to that day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I cPanel Announcements 0