Announcing Account Based Pricing

quapepl

Registered
Sep 21, 2019
singapore
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
i'm so lucky that 90% of my control panel is directadmin. I've been using DA since 2006. Their pricing is always transparent and not like cpanel. We should support vendors like Directadmin. Was starting to give cpanel a trial and bought 4 license. I'm lucky i did not migrate alot customers in it . Going to shift out one by one. Currently on monthly plan. Should be able to cut Cpanel 100% in next few months.

zFastLee

Registered
Feb 26, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We've been reaching out to our customers one by one, asking if they would prefer a price increase or switch to DirectAdmin. The vast majority have said they would rather switch to DA, and they've all been fully happy with the switch. cPanel has indeed been the "industry standard" for the last several years, but that almost certainly won't be the case going forward.
That's good to hear; I'd imagine people who want cPanel will either move elsewhere, or you'll be forced to keep at least one cPanel service running?

Same here. Almost completely moved over to DirectAdmin, and the clients really don't care one way or the other.

Almost get the pleasure of leaving these cPanel folks for good. :) Looking forward to that day.
Also great to hear! Thank you both for your feedback :)

Reactions: Samet Chan

CanSpace

Nov 25, 2011
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
That's good to hear; I'd imagine people who want cPanel will either move elsewhere, or you'll be forced to keep at least one cPanel service running?
We won't be switching exclusively to DA by any means - we will continue to run both.

It's actually just reseller clients we've been reaching out to, not shared hosting clients. It's essentially not feasible any longer to offer cPanel to reseller hosts (none of our clients want to go through the hassle of paying per account), so I can see reseller hosting switching almost exclusively to DA over the next few years.

dc1177

Jun 13, 2019
Sweden
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It is interesting to see how cPanel changes affected DirectAdmin licenses as well. DA used to have 299 USD lifetime license as of 15th August.

Also had the Yearly license that was cheaper (than the monthly*12) and is now removed. So now for a year you would pay 348 USD instead of 200 USD.

I guess DA thought to adapt the old cPanel prices. Still cheaper so I hope DA is good enough to replace cPanel.

Gareth-AWD

Jul 3, 2008
London, UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
So disappointed in cPanel with this move. Oakley Capital is evil and cPanel will slowly be consumed by the owners mentality. Oakley is british and I'm ashamed to a brit.

Our price increase equates to about $300 a year which is a fart in a thunderstorm for Oakley but pretty big for the fact we don't make much profit on hosting being a web design company. However, we will look at Direct Admin out of principle and hopefully people do the same over time.

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
My guesses (may be wrong):
Small resellers may escape and buy cheap reseller accounts themself
Bigger resellers may increase their prices for the end customers by maybe $0.5 per account
Alternative panels (including free ones) will draw more attention.

I can say DirectAdmin is easy to get familiar and i am not missing any features so far. Only i see a bit of slowness in File manager and file editor does not support keyboard shortcuts somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:

PvUtrix

Mar 12, 2005
Ekaterinburg - Russia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Joined Mar 12, 2005
Quit Oct 1, 2019

Bad move! I'm not a big hosting company, just hosting my friend's personal websites mostly... Some charity sites, some young web developers... 300% price increase is unacceptable for me

Reactions: wswd

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
@PvUtrix , i am on DirectAdmin reseller account now. It is good. Hosting company helped migrate me, Directadmin has some migrating tool. You can duck.com it.
The price savings are insane.
I would pay 45USD/mo. to cpanel jusst for software. Now i am paying $0 for the directadmin (having reseller account) and it cost like 5 bucks a month! i should be thanking to cpanel :) directadmin has auto backu tool where it transfer data to the FTP of your choice, so you can restore if your reseller die.
Also check Best free hosting control panels for the Linux server?

Alex Vojacek

Registered
Feb 18, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Came here to voice my opinion.
I've been a loyal customer to cPanel from 2010, i've quit September 30, not after they forced me pay for the price increase and BLOCKED my server. I'm finalizing migration now, it was a fun ride but the price increase is utter bullshit, plus I don't like that this is the first time in 9 years that my server was taken down because i did not paid the license in time.. this just feels like the mob.

• Wow
Reactions: wswd and postcd

xapim

Registered
Oct 4, 2019
IOM
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Im not a reseller i only use the license for my dedicated server just for my own but now with the new plans upgraded and the end of the solo plan im forced to pay 45 month just to have one single account and not any profit from it as its just for my own personal use so this means from now on i will be paying 3 times more than what i used to pay just because someone had the smart idea to end the solo plans thanks a lot :mad:

lewis-teck

Apr 28, 2016
London
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Im not a reseller i only use the license for my dedicated server just for my own but now with the new plans upgraded and the end of the solo plan im forced to pay 45 month just to have one single account and not any profit from it as its just for my own personal use so this means from now on i will be paying 3 times more than what i used to pay just because someone had the smart idea to end the solo plans thanks a lot :mad:
That's what has hurt me too, I'm a small user but managed fine on the old pricing, this new pricing has thrown everything out of the water.

Hopefully this time my post won't be removed for a third time for no good reason.

Reactions: AlbaHost

Prabhu Host

Registered
Oct 13, 2019
Nepal
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Cpanel pricing has impacted local hosting provider and they cannot continue with Cpanel and most of the provider are shifting to Directadmin and plesk. We provide web hosting in Nepal and cpanel cost appears more than server cost .

Jun 11, 2017
Pakistan
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
This is ridiculous, You guys think that you can earn a lot of money with new structure i don't think so because we will boycott cPanel badly at least i will and i will tell all my friends and family to boycott you guys. You guys think that you are way better then other that's not gona happen at all. You guys are thief EU will take action as i already report EU on this stealing money by cPanel.

postcd

Oct 22, 2010
You guys are thief EU will take action as i already report EU on this stealing money by cPanel.
LOL a good one :-D Are you that clever? How they are stealing? Why they should not have right to set/change their product price? Even if they set the price to be $9000 monthly, i think it is only their choice and right.
And i do no think it is a fact that cP will loose money. Even if half of their users leave within lets say 1 year. They may be earning same money, because of their pricing increase. Only they will need to support less people which is beneficial to them.
Problem is that apparently cpanel failed to announce price change better and more in advance. How they did it was unfair to me - which does not mean they have no right to do it like that?

There are free control panels, just use search engine to find the lists.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I cPanel Announcements 0