The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous FTP Requiring Password

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bpat1434, Oct 2, 2004.

1. bpat1434

bpat1434 Well-Known Member

I am running a reseller account and a customer is having a problem.

We are trying to allow anonymous FTP access. Using WS_FTP Pro 9.0, the username "Anonymous" requires a password, as well using the account "anonymous@<domain>.com".

Anyone know what's going on here? In my WHM area, I don't have the option of "Tweak FTP Settings" nor do I have any *.conf files in the etc directory of the directory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

~Brett

2. PowWeb

PowWeb Active Member

Same issues

I am having the same issue can anyone help me...

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Your password would be anything, but it is generally considered that you enter your e-mail address as the password.

The format of anonymous@domain.com is needed so that the server can distinguish which anonymous FTP you are wanting to access. Unless you give all of your accounts a dedicated IP (and even then I'm not sure if anonymous works this way, I think it used to), the server has no idea of knowing what anonymous account you are wanting to access.

If domain1.com and domain2.com are both on the same server, and both have anonymous FTP enabled, and a user just logs in as anonymous. How is the server suppose to know which anonymous FTP account you want to access? By using anonymous@domain1.com, the server knows that you are wanting to access the anonymous FTP account of domain1.com,