The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous ftp - should I disable?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BraveX, Sep 8, 2006.

1. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

I was wondering what the point of is anonymous FTP? Is it vulnerable to abuse? Should I set it to "disable" in WHM?

thanks,
    BX

2. NightStorm

NightStorm Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Anonymous FTP requires a dedicated IP for a site. It would essentially allow users to either upload or download files direct from FTP without needing a username or password. It's locked to the public_ftp folder in the site's root directory, but yes it can be abused if upload is enabled, as users could store essentially anything they want there.
    If you have no plan of using it for any of your sites, you may as well disable it in WHM to prevent any future customers from turning it on.

3. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, Nightstorm.

BX

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Also, anonymous FTP is open to abuse. The reason being, you're allowing anyone to authenticate against your FTP server and allowing them to perform FTP tasks. Many FTP server vulnerabilities that arise these days require authenticated access to the server and you're handing this to hackers on a plate.