The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anonymous FTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redhat, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Redhat

Redhat Member

Aug 5, 2005

I am looking to get anonymous FTP working for a client. It connects using and password guess

But doesn't work when you use anonymous and no password it just comes up Unable to set up secure anonymous FTP.

Any ideas? Also is there a way to only allow uploading. Not deleting?

2. fcsnc

fcsnc Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2002
    North Carolina
    "secure anonymous FTP" ??

Is your client trying to use some kind of SFTP process? I wouldn't call anonymous FTP "secure," exactly.

The way Anonymous FTP works with CPanel is that it creates a folder named public_ftp in the account's home directory (i.e., at the same level as public_html, for webspace).

Anything you copy to public_ftp should be available for download via FTP by anyone in the world who can access your server. Inside the public_ftp folder is another folder called 'incoming.' Anyone in the world who can reach your server via FTP should be able to upload anything they want to into that folder.

The anonymous user cannot download things from the incoming folder, and he/she cannot overwrite/delete anything in the public_ftp folder (outside of incoming).

Polite authentication is usually done this way:
    Username: anonymous

One thing that most people don't understand is that setting up Anonymous FTP on a CPanel account without a dedicated IP address DOES NOT WORK. If you want to get Anonymous FTP to work, you have to give the account a dedicated IP.