The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another DNS Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by k2hostnet, Apr 30, 2005.

1. k2hostnet

k2hostnet Registered

Okay, so I recently purchased a 2nd server. Until now I've been running both my primary and secondary name servers on the same server. So ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com were pointing to 2 ips on the same server.

My goal now is to keep ns1.domain.com on the current server, but change ns2.domain.com to be on the new server. My guess is I'll also need to create ns3 on the old server and ns4 on the new server so that each server has 2 nameservers? Basically, I'm not sure what the best way to set this up would be. Ideally I'd just have 2 nameservers, ns1 and ns2 that are identical in their contents just split up over the 2 servers.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Kurt

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    #2 dalem, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  3. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Yes, I just did this in the same situation. You don't have to assign ns1&ns2 differently. After you cluster, just use them the same as always no matter how many servers you add to the cluster.

David