The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Exim SMTP issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 1EightT, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 1EightT

1EightT Member

Hey,

I've been messing with Exim for a few days now and I still can't get this problem resolved.

1. I'm using Outlook 2003 with any email address on my server. The SMTP server has been set to the IP address or the MX. I've also tried all three radio boxes in the Outgoing Server tab in More Settings...

2. I guarantee it's not Outlook. This is a new server with ev1, but I have another identical to it. I'm using the same settings that were set on the previous server, exept I changed the IP for the outgoing SMTP server. So with any setting, outlook always responds with: '503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA'

3. Exim_mainlog says: 2005-10-05 11:27:30 H=69-162-143-113.clspco.adelphia.net (VISIONTRIP) [69.162.143.113] F=<mike@lovensen.com> rejected RCPT <someoutgoingaddress@yahoo.com>: 69-162-143-113.clspco.adelphia.net (VISIONTRIP) [69.162.143.113] is currently not permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.

4. Again, I've tried to turn on SMTP authentication.

5. I've re-installed cPanel twice with the CURRENT and STABLE release with the current installation as STABLE. I've also force installed a fresh copy of exim.

6. Ev1 won't help because I've re-installed cPanel. It's BS. But, that's why I'm here. I really hoping someone can help. Thanks!

Mike

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Could be a few things. If you configure to not use SMTP AUTH, i.e. POP before SMTP, are you doing POP and then send? IF so and it does not work, check /var/log/maillog and make sure that the POP attempts are being logged. If they aren't try restarting syslog and try again. IF that's OK, is the antirelayd process running?

With SMTP AUTH, make sure that you're using the full email address as the username when you configure your Outlook settings.

If none of that helps, feel free to PM me if you would like.

3. forlinuxsupport

forlinuxsupport Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi

Restart syslogd... it will stop the people loggin in to sned/receive mail.

Cheers
    andy

4. NetPublicist

NetPublicist Well-Known Member

I have gotten calls from 5 different hosting customers today who are all getting this error.

Everything was working fine before today, I did a cPanel/WHM update this morning, don't know if that had anything to do with it. I checked the maillog, here is the error everyone is getting:

rejected RCPT <***@***.com>: ******** (******) [**********] is currently not permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your email client.

(I changed the email's and IP's to *** in the error message above for security reasons.)

5. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    many boxes same issue

We have this issue accross 8 different cpanel boxes

Phones going crazy !

6. hostmedic

hostmedic Well-Known Member

Washington Court House, Ohio, United States
    cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    fixeverythign

ran /scripts/fixeverything

worked on all boxes ...

wonder what cpanel did on an update last night...

7. NetPublicist

NetPublicist Well-Known Member

I put in a support ticket with my data center, they went in checked some stuff ad now everything seems to be working, they said they had to not only restart exim but also pop and imap. It looks like the IPs are once again being written to the relayhosts now and everyone can get their emails again.

8. Wolvie

Wolvie Active Member

I still got the problem.

host is in /etc/relayhosts,
    /scripts/firelayed and /scripts/fixeverything is ran.

What else can I do?

PLease HELP!

9. gallot

gallot Active Member

I encountered this SMTP Authentication issue on one of my servers, although SMTP Authentication is checked on the client's Outlook. Recreating the email account in cPanel solves the issue.

Now anyone have any idea what file perhaps in the server should be edited or fixed? I have one account who have around 40 email accounts, and recreating all accounts is a tedious task. :( I am thinking that perhaps there might be a file that just needs to be fixed in relation to this one.

Thanks in advance for any idea.

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Did you try simply changing the mail accounts password? You could also try:

/scripts/mailperm
    /scripts/updateuserdomains

And also tail the exim_mainlog when trying to authenticate and look for errors.

11. ymfm

ymfm Active Member

I'm still having this issue in only one server.

I tried everything.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

12. lost

lost Well-Known Member

cpanel updates

would someone please enlighten me what the nature of 'cpanel updates' entails and the reason for it?
    Just about every update breaks something or another that worked just fine previously.
    If it is a security issue, wouldn't it make more sense to apply just a fix so in case it breaks something, one could easily revert?
    If it is just cosmetics, could the updates be tested enough to give any meaning to 'stable' and 'release' ?

I have only run edge on some machines sofar and it seems that on all boxes that run 'stable' and 'release' nothing really ever is stable and most of the updates should have never been released.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

L

13. BP Steven

BP Steven Active Member

I'm still having this problem. Nothing suggested here seems to work. /scripts/fixeverything worked once but I had automatic updates on and it stopped working the next day. Is there anyone from cPanel can explain what may have happened. If I know the possible cause I can probably track it down.

14. Drew Nichols

Drew Nichols Well-Known Member

We are also seeing this problem, with POP before SMTP, but Authentication seems to work. Wish everyone would use their ISP's mail server. :)

15. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble Registered

I have encountered this issue as well - I am trying an upgrade to CURRENT (I prefer not to) to try to solve it.

16. bin_asc

bin_asc Well-Known Member

I have a similar issue.I have POP before SMTP, but when users try to send email using either Neomail,Squirrel or Horde,mail isn`t sent, and no email is being received.I have been searching quite a while for an answer.I hope that you can help me( any of you).

17. bazzi

bazzi Well-Known Member

I have the same issue as above...

exim was damaged so in ran /scripts/eximup --force
    now sinds today it installs a good exim, but before it would install a exim wait stals

does anybody know a fix for this?

I am desperate!

18. bazzi

bazzi Well-Known Member

Alrigth, after recompiling exim and clamconnector it was working.

So uninstall the exim rpm and disable clamconnector, then re-enable clamconnector and it works again.

sometimes you have to enable the pro expension again on pro.cpanel.net .

Good luck!

19. nothsa

nothsa Well-Known Member

I had this problem and, after trying all of the other suggestions in this thread, I found that it was because POP connections weren't being logged to /var/log/maillog (it was empty). After restarting syslogd ( /scripts/restartsrv_syslogd ), the maillog started filling up and POP before SMTP started working again.

Hope this helps someone :)

20. nothsa

nothsa Well-Known Member

It would appear that syslogd is stopping randomly (not very often, but still :(). I've set a cron job to restart it every night, but I'd prefer to fix the problem. Is anyone else having this issue?