The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another FTP/SFTP server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yakatz9, Nov 13, 2011.

1. yakatz9

yakatz9 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    On my old server (not cPanel) I moved the main SSH service to another port and I ran an SSH server that used pam_mysql for authentication.
    I know that I can change the OpenSSH to a different port fairly easily, but will I be able to create a new instance without cPanel touching it?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to confirm, you are only going to run one instance of SSH but run it on a different port and with pam_mysql for authentication? Is that the case?

If so, the only way you'd have cPanel not touch the service would be to ensure to not have WHM > Service Manager > sshd checked for monitor there. Without it being monitored, it won't be detected as changed or down in any way and won't try to restart.

Now, I know the port itself can be changed for SSH, so that isn't the issue. The issue here is changing the default SSH environment to work differently.

It is possible you could continue to have it monitored and still function, though. You'll have to test it out to see what happens. I don't know of anyone who I've dealt with who has done this practice, so I'm simply going by what I do know and what you might run into as an issue.

3. yakatz9

yakatz9 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    No, two instances of SSH, but move the cPanel one (what we call the administrative one) to a different port and run the pam_mysql one on port 22.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are going to run two instances of SSH, you will most likely need to uncheck monitor for sshd in Service Manager.

The best way to find out what will happen is to try it and work with whatever occurs. You are welcome to ask questions as you work on getting it setup to see if we can bypass anything that does happen.