The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another newb question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RawG, May 6, 2004.

1. RawG

RawG Member

Hi cPanel people,

Another basic question about the functionality of cPanel...

I've been trying to work out from the documentaion, if it is indeed possible to have both primary and secondary DNS servers remote from WHM, or is it required that the primary DNS server runs on the same box as WHM? The information seems to indicate such, but never specifically confirms this...

Cheers!

2. RawG

RawG Member

Also, I'm wondering if it's possible to turn off the e-mail service used by cPanel? I ask, because we already have a mail server running for our hosting customers, and it would be nice to be able to contiune to use it, not have people get confused by e-mail options in cPanel... I plan to write a module to control this remote server, or at least log people into the Mail servers admin interface... but that wouldn't be much point if I can't turn Exim, and the cPanel mail options off.

Thanks in advance again...

3. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

To answer your questions ...

1. You can run clustered DNS and a download of DNS only WHM/Cpanel is freely available.

2. You can use a "remote" mailserver. You may have to ensure that your /etc/remotedomains gets properly updated and that your mx records point to the appropriate locations in order for this to properly work:)