The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another person confused about best backup option

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tnedator, Dec 30, 2007.

1. tnedator

tnedator Member

I have a VPS with WHM. I am only running my own Cpanel accounts on it, which numbers less than 10 accounts.

Up to this point, I have been manually going into Cpanel (Cpanel, not WHM) the important ones and go to Backup Wizard > Full Backup > Generate Backup (Home Directory).

I then download the backup via FTP.

I now have an offsite storage location and am looking for the best automated option to create an equivalent backup of the Generate Full Backup for a single account and have it FTP'd to my offsite storage.

I know there is a backup module inside of WHM, but am not sure if it creates the same compressed backup (home directory, email, MySQL, etc.) that can be resored using the "Restore a Full Backup/CPMove file".

I have also read posts about the vanessa cpanel backup script.

So, I am not sure what is the best option for creating automated backups that are FTP'd to my offsite storage.

Thanks for the help.

2. WebScHoLaR

WebScHoLaR Well-Known Member

3. tnedator

tnedator Member

Thanks. That's the built-in WHM backup that I was referring to.

One of my questions related to that is does it make inndividual .gz files that can allow you to quickly restore an entire cpanel account to the current or another server using "Restore a Full Backup/CPMove file"?

Is there any way to specify what time of day this backup occurrs? I wiould assume it is run as a cron, but is there a graphical interface for the server level crons, like there is the cron interface for each cpanel account.

Is there any advantage to using the vanessa script, which I have others post about using?

4. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you back up the account locally you click restore backups as its not a CPMove file
    if you FTPed to the backup location then you will need to ftp it back to the to the /backup_folder/cpbackup/daily

there was an whm cron configure add on (which I have never used) not sure if cpbackup was in it??

but just log in va ssh and crontab -e and edit the cpbackup cron to a new time :)