The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another silly noob question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by steel rat, Dec 29, 2004.

1. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

Ok folks, I just purchased a dedicated server package and know squat about Linux and everything associated with it.

I came from a shared hosting environment with Cpanel, so I'm somewhat familiar with Cpanel/WHM.

I made backups of my old folders via Cpanel on my previous host, transferred them directly via FTP from one Cpanel to the FTP server of the new host based on the IP I'm using for the domain on the new host.

Now, when I de-compress the TAR and GZ files and move the subsequent data to the appropriate folders using my root access everything is hunky dory until I try to go into the FTP for for specfic domain and I can't see any of the folders or files that were moved. I know they're there because I can browse with Ie and see the pages. And if I try to make a new folder of the same name as one of those that were moved it says it already exists.

Changing permissions doesn't help. It seems to be a matter of making the other users members of the Group, but I don't know how to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks, and hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

Steel Rat

#1 steel rat, Dec 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  2. jester.ro

jester.ro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    use the restore account feature of whm.

just unzipping doens'nt re-create passwords, sqldatabases or named.conf entries.

3. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

I understand that unzipping doesn't do all those things.

I don't see a "restore account" option in WHM under Account Functions or anywhere else.

What does named.conf do?

4. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

ok I think I found what you're referring to. In Backups>Restore Full backup/CPMove file.

I moved the .gz files I still have from the old host to /home and the link above now sees them. So I enter a username to restore (the last part of the filename before the .tar) and hit Restore, nothing happens. I get a blank page back, no messages or anything. Does the same thing for either /gz file and username. And looking at the folder for the user in question nothing has been unzipped....

5. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

In searching and searching through the forums, I found mention of the restorepkg script, and with some finagling, got my backups from the old host to restore to the new.

So, obviously the WHM option doesn't work as advertised...

6. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

In addition to the above, I need to know how to make things that I unzipped manually visible to the appropriate users. There is one account I no longer have access to and must be able to do this manually.

7. brentp

brentp Well-Known Member

ive got some honest advice and this is how i learnt some pretty useful stuff:

a) learn the basics on a friends server
    b) go to a friend who owns a webhosting company and offer to admin his box
    c) play around a little
    d) search the forums
    e) done

until your do that i'd reccomend hire an admin or go back to a shared hosting environment.

Regards,
    Brent

8. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

Shared hosting is no longer an option. They just plain suck, every one I've tried. I'm looking to the future and will not look back.

Thanks for your honest advice, but it's not an option.

9. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Obviously, it seems that the hosters that you've tried are at or around the same level that you are, and don't have much knowledge of what they're doing. So there's not likely to be much difference between being on a shared server they're running and being on your own server that you're running... unless you get some expert help. (It's going to take some time to learn it all yourself)

10. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

And I don't mind learning it myself. At least I haven't been asking questions like "How do I display the contents of a directory?" or stuff like that.

I don't think the level of expertise of the other hosts was at my level, it's more like they don't know how to run a business and forget what "customer service" means. They would eventually fix problems, but the level or professionalism was never there, from any of them. But if I can't ask questions in a place like this, then what's the purpose? I see a lot of people asking questions that even I know, so I don't see what the problem is.

11. andyorourke

andyorourke Member

There is NO Stupid question.......

Except the one you dont ask in the 'Oh No!' Second right before your server dissapears in a puff of smoke! I to came to a dedicated server from the reseller environment and took lots of time (and, mainly friendly, abuse) learning the ropes. 99% of the people on these forums are happy to help, some like to display that they are gurus and are clearly doing you an immense favour by taking 2 minutes to answer your trivial question, now if only the real friendly people, with obvious knowledge of all things linux/unix could learn to answer questions in English....................

I just bought a 'bargain' reseler account for $14.00 / month, just to make a little pin money but the set up is awful, the DNS is wrong, php isnt configured properly, many options I need dont work. The only way is a dedicated server, keep at it and it will get easier. If you dislike some of the comments you get, they are worth it for the nuggets of information you get here.

12. steel rat

steel rat Active Member

Thanks Andy,

I hear you 100%. Sometimes I get frustrated too quickly and just need an answer instead of a lecture about decisions I might have made. Though I understand why people make those comments, they just aren't helpful in the context of the post. If I had asked the question "I'm thinking of going to a dedicated server, but don't know alot about Linux or Apache..." Then those comments would be perfectly reasonable.

I bought several books, and looking through these forums and others (linuxworld.org) I find much of what I need. And the Cpanel support folks have been very patient with me, more patient than I probably would have been with me, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the support.