The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answer information access_log scanning security

Discussion in 'Security' started by davidhan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. davidhan

davidhan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi. everybody.
    Yesterday looking at access_log file at /etc/httpd/logs I found a ip address (that I blocked after this) trying a lot of server folders for example

cgi-bin/
    cgi-sys/
    nessus/
    system/

etc, etc. Its a server scanning, Is there a way to prevent this kind of things with a firewall rule or software? Most of the commands were blocked by mod_Security and others directly gave 404 error cause they dont exist.
    Also at access log sometimes appears /~user/ folders, like they are accessing using servername and user to see things. Do you recommend to disable ~ access ? Cause sometimes users use this when domains are not correctly propagated.

All of this seems that is done using port 80 scanning. But I would like to know a method to block lammers from scanning servers and prevent bandwidth consumption.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can't really prevent anyone from trying to find exploits on your system, but you can implement tools such as Mod_Security and CSF to help block the attempts. You may also find the "Security Advisor" helpful for determining which settings to enable/disable:

"WHM Home » Security Center » Security Advisor"

Thank you.