The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antispam Gateways

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by split, Jul 24, 2007.

1. split

split Member

Hello,

I've some antispam gateways in front of the Cpanel servers.
    The questioni is... is there anyway to check if an email address exists on Cpanel servers before accept the message on the gateways (to prevent generation of misdirected bounces)?
    Perhaps using VRFY command? Any ideas?

Regards,
    Alvaro.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well you could enable VRFY in Exim if you wish, I am pretty sure (although I don't know the exact way of doing that - I've only done that with sendmail). but that's probably only wise to do if you can limit it to only provide that information to certain IPs requesting it.

Otherwise you might be stuck with having your antispam gateway do an actual callout to the remote server (I used to do this on sendmail using milter-ahead).

Mike

3. split

split Member

Hello,

Yes, the VRFY command would be enabled only for the relays (I don't know how :) )

Humm...the antispam gateways check the inbound messages and then deliver these to the CPanel servers (I think that using the word "gateway" you've thought that was for the outgoing mail). The problem is that these relays/gateways accept the email without check if the email account exists on CPanel server so then, can generate the misdirected bounces.

The best solution would be a LDAP server with all users, domains or anything similar...but I don't know if this is possible with Cpanel.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Alvaro.

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

I have not read where anybody has successfully used LDAP on cpanel servers to do this - Exim itself is capable of doing it if you know how to configure LDAP on it (i do not).

I understand what you are asking. I have only had to do that when the 'gateway' was a sendmail server - and in that instance i used milter-ahead on the sendmail server to do a call out to the actual mail server with the user accounts so that it could see if the user account existed before accepting the mail for it.

Somebody here will probably have an answer for you - I have never had to implement this on a Cpanel server, or a server using Exim.

Mike