The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antivirus.exim blocking file extensions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Jun 21, 2006.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2002
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am just wondering what the general consensus is of whether or not to allow Exim to block the list of file extensions in the antivirus.exim file. We are having more and more users complain about this feature, which blocks some common file extension types. Apparently zipping up the file to send it is not a solution for them.

In my opinion, I like this feature, because even though Clam is installed to scan messages for viruses, this does not mean that something could not squeak by Clam. By blocking common executable file extensions, then the chance of unknowingly spreading a virus or trojan infected executable is minimal. However this does not appear to be a good enough reason for end users.

I realize that the decision is ultimately my own as to whether to leave this enable or disable it. I'm just interested to know how other webhosts are handling this.

2. RedFutura

RedFutura Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    I wouldn't block exe or zip extensions. Only bat, pif, cmd, and some other common virus extensions and not so commonly used for non-virus applications to send over email.

For exe files it is up to the user to use an antivirus. Same with zip files.