The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antivirus.exim bounces to Default Address ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celta, May 20, 2004.

1. Celta

Celta Member

Hi,

I'm having troubles with antivirus.exim filter because when some user (user@domain.com) sends an email with an .exe attachment, mail is bounced to the default address for his account <customer@mail.hostname.com>

Do you know any way for sending bounces to real sender of email instead of going to default account ?

I don't want my users sending or receiving exes, cmd, pifs, etc.. but I want they know his message has been rejected by exim.

I've read all the faqs, and browse every thread in this forum, but nobody else seems has had this problem before :/

Thank you in advance...

2. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I have heard on this forum of people complaining that cPanel tries to send messages to the email address on file for the account if no email account exists then it goes to default account..

Does your user have an email address on file for cPanel.. If not I would recommend he add his primary email address and test to see if the bounced message goes their instead of default...

3. Celta

Celta Member

I've not tried, but rejected mail should bounce back to sender, not to default account or email on file, isn't it ?

In this case my customer has many addon domains, some of them for his customers.. so he should not be receiving emails when one of his customers sends by mistake an .exe file instead of a .zip one

I am sure there must be a very simple solution for this, but I'm not able to find it :(

4. dee_at_candl

dee_at_candl Active Member

Hey,

I have the same issue and been trying my best to find a solution.

Have you found anything yet?

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I find the best solution is to not use antivirus.exim as although the thought is there, the implemntation is poor. You're probably better off using something like exiscan, or preferrably MailScanner if you want something configurable.

6. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Good idea, but can MailScanner be used to filter bounces that are returning to the server root?

or,

Can MailScanner be used as a global-system-wide filter?