The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antivirus.exim file ...what 2 do?????????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rpmws, Nov 30, 2001.

1. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Ok...

I have spent off and on 2 days with clients getting the /etc/antivirus.exim config file just the way I want it. Now no one is bitching about the filters and I feel it is still doing a good job filtering real viruses. My concern is that this file will be overwritten by cpanel update.

What do I need to do to that file to keep cpanel from replacing it? anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

2. Brad

Brad Well-Known Member

Can you share your experiences and your settings. We are having some problems right now with URL\'s in Outlook Express being rejected because of posible virus concerns, this had not been a problem until this week.

[quote:7aa5dc1cce]Ok...

I have spent off and on 2 days with clients getting the /etc/antivirus.exim config file just the way I want it. Now no one is bitching about the filters and I feel it is still doing a good job filtering real viruses. My concern is that this file will be overwritten by cpanel update.

What do I need to do to that file to keep cpanel from replacing it? anyone know?

Thanks in advance! [/quote:7aa5dc1cce]

3. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

OK--
    obviously the URL attachment issues are being caused if your antivirus.exim file has the \"URL\" files referenced as things to be filtered out.

Simply open the \"antivirus.exim\" filter file in your favorite text editor and remove the lines that include URL (use common sense of course)....

Remember you can lock a file with the immutable bit using \"chattr +i FILENAME\"... I have found that \"chattr\" is basically my most utilized command on any cpanel linux machines I have to deal with. :) That will prevent the file from being overridden by any process , cpanel or anything started by root, unless root removes that bit setting first!

It\'s the most important command ever in the history of CPanel machines.

:)

Questions = ask
    :D

WORDDDDDDDD

4. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

Well I just used that new lock method on about 16 files :) you are right ...very nice way to do it.

5. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

;)

It really is something important- CPanel is a living, breathing thing- it isn\'t perfect. What type of automation software from the user/reseller/admin side could be perfect beyond all question? Once you get a certain state/configuration/style of how you do your cpanel machines down pat, then locking up certain vital configurations of your machine with things like this can make your life an as admin about 15000% smoother and happier.

Lots of people think this type of admin work is something extra they shouldn\'t have to take care of coz the product should HANDLE these things. But for more cases (though not all)... that is truly impossible. CPanel coupled with a diiligent admin or two, per server, basically provides the most robust automated, shared environment that is out there for linux webhosting today.

IMHO

Rant over.
    Good luck and best regards.

Travis

:P

6. salvatore333

salvatore333 Well-Known Member

i tried deleting everything about "exe" to allow customers to receive .exe attachments. i restarted exim and they still cannot receive an exe attachment. would someone be so kind as to tell me what i'm doing wrong here?

thank you very much

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

7. Michael-MS

Michael-MS Well-Known Member

I have modifications to "antivirus.exim" and locked it with chattr +i... then I upgraded cPanel. And Exim was completely uninstalled from the machine and email stopped working. I had to chattr -i "antivirus.exim" and then run the cpanel update again to fix it.

chattr +i would be a great solution if it didn't break cPanel!

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: