The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Freebsd people running 9.7.2-CURRENT_14 ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Aug 23, 2004.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Love to jump up to 9.7.2-CURRENT_14 but dont want to be a pioneer. :D

Anyone with Freebsd running it? Any pains ?.

2. sjackson909

sjackson909 Well-Known Member

Waiting till stable here, and even then I'm going to install on a test box first. Too many problems in the past.

Thanks
    -Seth

3. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Just upgraded one box...same shit on horde, oscommrece, bind, exim stalls, front page no longer works and you need to reboot to get exim, named back up.

4. easyhoster1

I agree, I wish they would have a TRUE BSD build. I would suggest all of us BSD user's to request this. But, I have a feeling we maybe wasting more time. If Seth or any one else would like to make this request. I'm with you. Start a poll, or ask if they are planing on supporting BSD?? Just a frustrated thought...Anyone?

5. sjackson909

Wow.. when did FreeBSD start using /etc/xinetd.conf, many things are broke from cpanel hacking up there linux tree to run on BSD. I agree that we need our own build, I not for sure how to request or go about this, any ideas?

Thanks
    -Seth

6. easyhoster1

Seth,

I think the first thing we should all do is create a new thread for BSD and have everyone list all their bugs and issues with Cpanel/WHM. Then, as they are confirmed by us. Each one will need to submit tickets. As each confirmed problem (by us) is submitted, post the ticket # and post to bugzilla, then post them here. I have a feeling that its going to take a number of us to make any difference. I also tried calling my cpanel sales rep and there is now no answer or he moved on, as I see cpanel wants $65.00 for support calls, even though I am not calling for support, but wanted to ask about BSD in general to see if we could have a True Build...Two days and no answer...

Once, and if they fix our issues. I think at that time we should all start making request for a BSD build away from Linux. Then hopefully, Nick may want to chim in and let us know his thoughts. I`m not sure how many FREEBSD servers everyone has, but their must be enough to request this.

Anyway, what do you think? ;)

7. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I wouldnt hesitate to upgrade if I were just dabbling into hosting, but we have about 1,500 hosted accounts and many big local companies. If we come in one morning and one of our machines are down for more than an hour they hand our ass to us. If we have something like a messed up bunch of binaries from a cpanel upgrade and we are hosed for 4-6 hours we will lose customers and get threats.

Its just to risky for me to play with this stuff and on a test box we just cant slap it around enough to see if its ok before putting a production machine with the latest version.

8. sjackson909

Any one have an idea when release or stable are coming out? I not going to waste any more time on this, intill stable comes out.

Thanks
    -Seth

9. easyhoster1

Seth,
    Since Cpanel no longer updates the change log in WHM for FREEBSD, you will need to look here.

http://layer2.cpanel.net/

10. sjackson909

Yea I know where to look I just hate going there everday looking. I will call there sales tomorrow and ask.